Best wireless network for the uninitiated ?

Old January 4th 05, 09:19 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mike Day

Default Best wireless network for the uninitiated ?

Hi,

I want to set up a wireless network to connect my PC in my ground floor
study (which will have the ADSL router connected to it) with my 2 kids pcs
in their bedrooms on the first floor. The line of sight between the study
and the bedrooms is approx 10 meters and passes through a 11 inch cavity
wall and 2 stud partition walls. I have looked at numerous reviews of
numerous products but none fill me full of confidence.
I have looked at :

D-Link DSL-G604T with two DWL-G122 USB adaptors for a total of approx 110
Linksys WAG54G with two WUSB54G USB adaptors for a total of approx 120
Netgear DG834G with two MA111 USB adaptors for a total of approx 120

Can anyone advise me which of these options (or others) are the best.

Also any tips on good deals around which will beat these prices would be
appreciated.

Regards
Mike

Old January 4th 05, 09:40 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 09:19:42 -0000, "Mike Day"
wrote:

Also any tips on good deals around which will beat these prices would be
appreciated.

simply.co.uk have a Belkin bundle ADSL modem/router with USB wifi NIC
for 84.99 add a second USB thing for 25 same sort of price as you
have.

not a lot to choose between these "all in one" boxes, if your line is
long make sure it provides statistics for ADSL diagnosis. I would look
hard for SPI firewalls and the option to do content filtering or time
limiting of connections if that's important to you with the kids.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old January 4th 05, 02:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
spamfrog

Mike Day wrote:

I have looked at :

D-Link DSL-G604T with two DWL-G122 USB adaptors for a

I got the D-link one for two PC's and a Wanadoo connection. After a bit of
searching for the various bits and bobs of info needed everything was up and
running in a few hours.
No problems since.
Even went back to playing quake 2 over LAN.

--
Muzz
reply to uglyduck NOT spamfrog

Old January 5th 05, 11:21 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
tougharms

"Mike Day" wrote in
:

[...]

As a newbie to networking, please forgive me if my next question is
stooopid, but does a small network of 2-3 pcs require a router? Won't an
ad-hoc network do the trick (plus reduce the cost)?
Old January 6th 05, 01:02 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Owen Rees

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 23:21:52 GMT, tougharms wrote
in :

As a newbie to networking, please forgive me if my next question is
stooopid, but does a small network of 2-3 pcs require a router? Won't an
ad-hoc network do the trick (plus reduce the cost)?

If you just want a private [W]LAN you don't need a router. If all the
devices have wireless then you can set up an ad-hoc WLAN. I don't think
this is the situation in question here.

If you want 3 PCs to all connect to the Internet via one ADSL/cable (or
even dialup) something has to be a router between your local [W]LAN and
the WAN link to your ISP. Most people need a router that does NAT
because their ISP allocates them one IP address.

You can make one of the PCs play router, but that means it has to be on
whenever anything wants to connect.

Given the situation described, a combined ADSL modem and router with
wireless seems like a sensible approach.

I have a D-Link DSL-G604T and have had very little trouble with it. The
main problem is wireless signal strength around the house. The signal
seems to go through the floors better than the walls. Finding a place
for the router so that you get a good signal where you want it seems to
be the key issue.

--
Owen Rees
[one of] my preferred email address[es] and more stuff can be