USB Printing on network

Old January 4th 05, 01:02 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bargains

Default USB Printing on network

Hi

I am looking to buy a canon ip3000 or similar printer with USB.

I want to be able to share it on my home network.

My house is fully networked so I dont really need wireless unless its my
only option.

Can anybody recommend a wired router preferably with ADSL modem.

I have seen some hubs / routers with USB connection will these work???

If not what do the USB connections on some hubs/routers do??

TIA

IAN

Old January 4th 05, 01:15 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Michael Salem

Bargains wrote:
Hi

I am looking to buy a canon ip3000 or similar printer with USB.

I want to be able to share it on my home network.

My house is fully networked so I dont really need wireless unless its my
only option.

Can anybody recommend a wired router preferably with ADSL modem.

The Draytek Vigor range are very good. They are fairly expensive, but
there is a model without Virtual private Network support which is a lot
cheaper (model 2500?)

I have seen some hubs / routers with USB connection will these work???
If not what do the USB connections on some hubs/routers do??

Some routers without an ADSL modem let you connect an existing USB ADSL
modem to their USB port. They are probably uncommon now, dating from the
days when ISPs would supply their USB ADSL modem, which you had to use.

On at least some routers (Vigor again) the USB port is used to connect a
networked USB printer. This facility works fine. Check the specification
of the router you plan to buy.

HTH,
--
Michael Salem
Old January 4th 05, 04:58 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
logized

"Michael Salem" wrote in message
T...
Bargains wrote:
[...]

I bought a cheap router Origo BRP-1400 about 6 months ago to work with a
cable modem - it also has the facility to work as a usb printserver.
I never used it for that, but it could be a cheap solution.
It is about 15 at
Check the customer reviews first though - because I seem to remember it may
not be compatible with some printers.
If you do get one - may be worth upgrading the firmware - mine worked
reliably since upgrading, see forum at
http://adsltech.com/portal/forum/for...ics.asp?FID=17

Dave

Old January 4th 05, 09:08 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dave Stanton

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 13:02:25 +0000, Bargains wrote:

Hi

I am looking to buy a canon ip3000 or similar printer with USB.

I want to be able to share it on my home network.

My house is fully networked so I dont really need wireless unless its my
only option.

Can anybody recommend a wired router preferably with ADSL modem.

I have seen some hubs / routers with USB connection will these work???

If not what do the USB connections on some hubs/routers do??

TIA

IAN

Ethernet USB print servers are now available.

Dave

Old January 5th 05, 12:00 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
lurch

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 13:02:25 GMT, "Bargains"
strung together this:

Hi

I am looking to buy a canon ip3000 or similar printer with USB.

I want to be able to share it on my home network.

Why not use a USB print server? Have a look on ebuyer, dabs etc..
--

SJW
Old January 5th 05, 05:37 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tim \(Remove NOSPAM.

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 13:02:25 GMT, "Bargains"
strung together this:

Hi

I am looking to buy a canon ip3000 or similar printer with USB.

I want to be able to share it on my home network.

Why not use a USB print server? Have a look on ebuyer, dabs etc..

Persifically- look at the netgear PS121 (i think) which is a USB print
server. I have the paralell version on a wired network and it works just
grand

Tim..