HELP! Newbie and Linksys wireless gateway

Old January 5th 05, 07:33 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Atlantica

Default HELP! Newbie and Linksys wireless gateway

I have bought a Linksys wireless gateway (WAG54G) router/modem and have
successfully set up wireless broadband sharing between my 2 computers - 1
desktop and 1 laptop.

My desktop PC has a Linksys WMP54G wireless card installed and the laptop
has in-built wireless functionality (g). The internet sharing is fault
free.

My problem is this - I have not yet set up encription/security measures with
the gateway/router. The instruction manual Linksys supply is, in my
opinion, written for anyone except a novice to networking!!

I have not set up any networking between the 2 machines yet and do not want
to do this until I get the security measures up and running.

CAN ANYONE PLEASE GIVE ME AN IDIOTS GUIDE TO DOING THIS?

Old January 5th 05, 08:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
mikeFNB

i wouldn't worry about encryption, just set up the pc's in the known macs
list.
then makesure you have ZA Free & AVG or WHY set up on ALL machines.

there are several sites that can help you. the linksys site is good
if you wish more just ask.

mike

Old January 5th 05, 08:31 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
spamfrog

Atlantica wrote:
I have bought a Linksys wireless gateway (WAG54G)
router/modem and have successfully set up wireless
broadband sharing between my 2 computers - 1 desktop and
1 laptop.
My desktop PC has a Linksys WMP54G wireless card
installed and the laptop has in-built wireless
functionality (g). The internet sharing is fault free.

My problem is this - I have not yet set up
encription/security measures with the gateway/router. The instruction
manual Linksys supply is, in my opinion,
written for anyone except a novice to networking!!
I have not set up any networking between the 2 machines
yet and do not want to do this until I get the security
measures up and running.
CAN ANYONE PLEASE GIVE ME AN IDIOTS GUIDE TO DOING THIS?

Trust me I'm an idiot. I have a D-link but it should be similar, I hope.
First try this site :
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...g/default.mspx

--
Muzz