Increasing wireless speed?

Old January 6th 05, 08:59 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Steve

Default Increasing wireless speed?

Hi Folks
I`m new to networking but have managed to setup a wireless system with
my Laptop running XP home with a Buffalo 54g pcmcia card and my desktop
running XP pro with a Buffalo 54g usb dongle. My question is how to get
the maximum connecting speeds which seem to default to 11Mb even when
sited next to each other?.
The manuals arn`t much help and state even higher speeds should be
available under xp??. Is there some setting under XP I should be
tinkering with as I just let them to do their own thing.
Cheers
Steve
Old January 7th 05, 09:28 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 20:59:37 GMT, Steve wrote:

. Is there some setting under XP I should be
tinkering with as I just let them to do their own thing.

is there a Buffalo utility running, or can you look at the properties
of the card / dongle and change its maximum speed. Sounds like they
are set to run at 802.11b speeds. On some drivers you can specify the
speed rather than letting them auto-negotiate.

It is concievable that they will only run at 802.11b speeds in ad-hoc
mode, that's a RTFM question.

Phil
--
Splenda - the only sweetener made from chlorine :-)
Old January 7th 05, 09:56 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Steve

Phil Thompson wrote:
On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 20:59:37 GMT, Steve wrote:

. Is there some setting under XP I should be
tinkering with as I just let them to do their own thing.

is there a Buffalo utility running, or can you look at the properties
of the card / dongle and change its maximum speed. Sounds like they
are set to run at 802.11b speeds. On some drivers you can specify the
speed rather than letting them auto-negotiate.

It is concievable that they will only run at 802.11b speeds in ad-hoc
mode, that's a RTFM question.

Phil

Thanks for the reply Phil
I didnt think to try the other drivers available,I wasn`t aware that
different drivers might offer different features!.
The manuals are vague to say the least and seem to imply using XP would
give greater speeds but doesn`t say how??
Steve
Old January 8th 05, 05:16 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Colin Soames

It is concievable that they will only run at 802.11b speeds in ad-hoc
mode, that's a RTFM question.

The 802.11g spec. doesn't mandate that ad-hoc modes support speeds over
11Mbits/sec, so likely one or both of the cards are limited.