not enough memory error

Old January 6th 05, 11:04 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
tougharms

Default not enough memory error

I have a desktop pc with AMD Athlon 2000+, 512MB RAM running XP SP1
connected to a laptop with original Pentium 266 MMX, 64MB RAM running 98SE
via Optronix USB cable connection.

The USB connection is working fine at 10Mbps as it should

Norton Internet security is running on the desktop and AVG and ZA(free) on
the laptop.

ICS is allowed on the desktop and is working, VNC works in both directions,

Both machines are listed in each network places/network neighborhood. The
desktop has full read/write access to the shared folders on the laptop.

But here's the problem, I can see the shared printer and the shared folder
from the laptop (the printer is USB connected to the desktop), but when
trying to access the shared folder on desktop from the laptop, I get the
following message:

"\\computer name\shared docs is not accessible
Not enough memory is available. Quit some programs" even when nothing is
running.

How much memory is required on the laptop?

Thanks for your time.
Old January 7th 05, 12:33 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
mikeFNB

sadly it's a usb problem can you not run a nic to the laptop?
usb uses the processor and system resources directly
a nic card will do that for you.

another 64mb would not go amiss.

mike

3.38...

Old January 7th 05, 02:20 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
tougharms

Thanks for the info

I intend to try wireless in the future

Tougharms

"mikeFNB" [email protected] wrote in
:

sadly it's a usb problem can you not run a nic to the laptop?
usb uses the processor and system resources directly
a nic card will do that for you.

another 64mb would not go amiss.

mike

3.38...

Old January 7th 05, 03:18 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Robert Peacock

"\\computer name\shared docs is not accessible

It might be the shared folder name. Try sharing a folder with no long names
or spaces in the path... such as c:\shared.
I think 98 does not like long names in network folders. worth a try.

Robert.

Old January 8th 05, 01:00 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
mikeFNB

i'd still up the ram.
wireless will still prob be usb so same dilema will exist.
pcimia credit card will sort it though.

m ike

"tougharms" wrote in message
3.37...
Thanks for the info

I intend to try wireless in the future

Tougharms

"mikeFNB" [email protected] wrote in
:

sadly it's a usb problem can you not run a nic to the laptop?
usb uses the processor and system resources directly
a nic card will do that for you.

another 64mb would not go amiss.

mike

3.38...

Old January 8th 05, 08:54 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
tougharms

Now have 160MB memory and have also tried folder named "Temp" with the same
result

Thanks for the ideas though

ps, the wireless for the laptop will be PCMCIA cardbus - here's hoping!

"Robert Peacock" wrote in
: