windows networking hassle

Old January 7th 05, 02:40 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mike Scott

Default windows networking hassle

I've just been trying to set up a wireless network: a router (belkin
7630, IP the default 192.168.2.1), and two XP clients, addresses set by
dhcp: EA1 (192.168.2.2; actually a wired connection) and EA2
(192.168.2.3; wireless). The router would normally have an adsl uplink,
but this isn't connected yet; EA1 has an existing dial-up internet link,
which I'm not interested in sharing with the rest of the LAN. As this
is on behalf of a local charity, I don't have ready access to tinker,
and really need to go back with a ready solution :-(

Anyway, the link-level networking looks fine, and the wireless connected
up first time. The problem is as follows:

EA1 and EA2 can ping the router. EA2 can ping EA1. EA1 cannot ping
EA2, getting timeouts every time.

EA2 can access shares on EA1 without problem. EA1 gets a "possibly no
privilege"-type error when trying to access shares on EA2 -- currently
even when trying to browse the local network, although at one point I
did get a listing of machines on the LAN, I don't now. EA1 can access
itself via "my networking places" though.

Routing on EA1 (netstat -nr) looked OK afaicr (I don't have a note of
the settings though, so can't post them). On EA1, "arp -a" showed an
entry for EA2.

Disabling XP's firewall didn't make any difference.

I'm wondering if the presence of the dial-up connection (even though not
acually dialed-in) is fouling things up, although I can't see how.

I'm sure I'm missing something painfully obvious; if anyone can suggest
what, I'd be very grateful!

various domains listed at www.scottsonline.org.uk
regards. Mike Scott Harlow Essex England.(unet -a-t- scottsonline.org.uk)
Old January 8th 05, 01:04 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
mikeFNB

hi mike
mike in chruchgate he

try these:

http://www.careyholzman.com/netfixes.htm
http://www.ezlan.net/

mike

various domains listed at www.scottsonline.org.uk
regards. Mike Scott Harlow Essex England.(unet -a-t- scottsonline.org.uk)

Old January 8th 05, 12:53 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mike Scott

mikeFNB wrote:
hi mike
mike in chruchgate he

try these:

http://www.careyholzman.com/netfixes.htm
http://www.ezlan.net/

Hi, and thanks for the links. Nothing jumps out from those pages --
maybe I'd best wait till midweek when they get their adsl and see if the
problem "goes away" along with the dial-up connection.

various domains listed at www.scottsonline.org.uk
regards. Mike Scott Harlow Essex England.(unet -a-t- scottsonline.org.uk)