Netgear DG834GT - No 108mbps mode

Old January 7th 05, 07:00 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
mark

Default Netgear DG834GT - No 108mbps mode

I'm tearing my hair out trying to get my network to run in 108mbps mode.

I have:

Netgear DG834GT 108mbps router
1 PC with Netgear WG111T 108mbps USB adaptor
1 PC with Netgear WG311T 108mbps PCI adaptor

All the above work fine together in b/g modes. But they just won't work in
108mbps mode. They only way I can get them to work is be disabling WEP and
even then they commincate with each at super low speeds. Opening a 10KB text
files takes 10 seconds.

I have the router set to "108mbps only", it runs on channel 6. Both adaptor
have been set to use 108mbps mode only, but I'm having no luck. All 3
components are less than 12 feet apart too!

Settings the router to "auto108mbps" improves speeds, BUT it will only work
if I set both adaptor use normal "g" 54mbps, which kinda proves that none of
the equipment is running in superG/T mode. Anyone any ideas?

Old January 7th 05, 07:11 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"mark" wrote in message

I have the router set to "108mbps only", it runs on channel 6. Both
adaptor have been set to use 108mbps mode only, but I'm having no
luck. All 3 components are less than 12 feet apart too!

Settings the router to "auto108mbps" improves speeds, BUT it will
only work if I set both adaptor use normal "g" 54mbps, which kinda
proves that none of the equipment is running in superG/T mode. Anyone
any ideas?

Are you using the latest drivers for the USB/PCI cards?

Regards
Sunil

Old January 7th 05, 08:07 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Gibson

"mark" wrote in message
[...]

1. Make sure you are set to infrastructure mode.

2. You will only get 108Mbps on channel 6

3. You are sure that your USB port is v2.0 and not v1.1???

4. Make sure you have the latest drivers.

Dave

Old January 7th 05, 08:20 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
mark

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message
"mark" wrote in message

I have the router set to "108mbps only", it runs on channel 6. Both
adaptor have been set to use 108mbps mode only, but I'm having no
luck. All 3 components are less than 12 feet apart too!

Settings the router to "auto108mbps" improves speeds, BUT it will
only work if I set both adaptor use normal "g" 54mbps, which kinda
proves that none of the equipment is running in superG/T mode. Anyone
any ideas?

Are you using the latest drivers for the USB/PCI cards?

Yes, I even tried older drivers. It's the PCI card that's the problem.

Old January 7th 05, 08:26 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
mark

"Dave Gibson" wrote in message

1. Make sure you are set to infrastructure mode.

check

2. You will only get 108Mbps on channel 6

yea

3. You are sure that your USB port is v2.0 and not v1.1???

they're all 2.0. I have since discovered it's the PCI card that's to blame,
see below.

4. Make sure you have the latest drivers.

I have. I actually have two of the USB adaptors, an extra 1 is for another
PC I'll introduce later. I turned off the PCI adaptor and installed the
other USB adaptor, so I have:

Netgear DG834GT 108mbps router
1 PC with Netgear WG111T 108mbps USB adaptor
1 PC with Netgear WG111T 108mbps USB adaptor

when this config is in use, it works perfectly on 108mbps mode. So the PCI
card it's definately to blame. I can't be positioning either as I installed
the USB dongle in exactly the same place almost at the rear of the PC. Both
the PCI card and USB adaptors use virtually the same software, I had the
settings same for both. I have no idea why the PCI card won't work :/. Looks
like it's going back and I'll have to get another USB adaptor.

Old January 8th 05, 02:46 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Mark:
I can't be positioning either as I installed the USB dongle in exactly the
same place almost at the rear of the PC.

You have just found why USB adapters on the end of a cable are better, you
can put your dongle on USB extension, up to 5m.

BTW: Loss of hair is std. symptom with Netgear kit...
Regards,
Martin

Old January 8th 05, 04:19 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Euan Kerr

"Martin²" wrote in news:41df4977$0$74267
:

BTW: Loss of hair is std. symptom with Netgear kit...

....yawn.
Old January 9th 05, 12:58 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Euan Kerr:
...yawn

Hardly surprising at 04:19 !