Dhcp help

Old January 8th 05, 09:55 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Moon

Default Dhcp help

Hi, bit new to networking and routing and would appreciate some help!
I have a linksys ADSL2MUE modem and a linksys BEFSR41 router, 3 pc's are
cabled to the router. Both the router and modem have dhcp servers - should
both be acting as dhcp servers or should i disable on one? if so which one
is the prefferable one? Also they both seem to running NAT firewalls should
both be left doing this?
I have left the modem on default IP address and changed the routers so both
can be accessed.

--
Moon

Old January 8th 05, 11:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Zoidberg

Moon wrote:
Hi, bit new to networking and routing and would appreciate some help!
I have a linksys ADSL2MUE modem and a linksys BEFSR41 router, 3 pc's
are cabled to the router. Both the router and modem have dhcp servers
- should both be acting as dhcp servers or should i disable on one?
if so which one is the prefferable one?

Yes , I'd disable the DHCP server on the modem and let the router allocate
your IP addresses.

Also they both seem to
running NAT firewalls should both be left doing this?

It won't hurt , although if you do ever need to configure any rules to let
specific ports through it will get complicated so you may as well turn one
off.
--
Alex

"I laugh in the face of danger , then I hide until it goes away"

www.drzoidberg.co.uk
www.sffh.co.uk
www.ebayfaq.co.uk

Old January 9th 05, 10:11 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Moon

So does this mean i have to give the router a static IP and tell the modem
what it is? how do i do this?

--
Moon

Old January 9th 05, 10:33 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

"Moon" wrote in message
I have a linksys ADSL2MUE modem and a linksys BEFSR41 router, 3 pc's are
cabled to the router. Both the router and modem have dhcp servers -
should both be acting as dhcp servers or should i disable on one?

Normally, the two DHCP servers have different purposes: the one in the modem
configures the WAN interface of the router, and the one in the router
configures the PCs.

Also they both seem to running NAT firewalls [...]

Why do you think that? AFAICS the ADSL2MUE has no NAT capability.

Alex

Old January 9th 05, 03:10 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alan

Alex Fraser wrote:
"Moon" wrote in message
I have a linksys ADSL2MUE modem and a linksys BEFSR41 router, 3 pc's
are cabled to the router. Both the router and modem have dhcp
servers - should both be acting as dhcp servers or should i disable
on one?

Normally, the two DHCP servers have different purposes: the one in
the modem configures the WAN interface of the router, and the one in
the router configures the PCs.

Also they both seem to running NAT firewalls [...]

Why do you think that? AFAICS the ADSL2MUE has no NAT capability.

Alex

Leave both running, DHCP on the modem works only on the modem/router
connection, DHCP on the router handles router an PCs. NAT isn't a firewall,
it's the way sessions on the addresses on your internal network are mapped
to the external address.

--
Alan

Old January 13th 05, 08:34 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Nero

That modem does not have NAT.
It just has it's own DHCP server
I have the same modem and am about to get a router(Linksys single port) as
no one can connect to me from outside.
All that modem does is assign private ip addresses instead of public ip
addresses to the pc.
There is no way to route/or any other thing.
Some routers have ip passthrough where the ip address given by your isp gets
passed thru to the pc.

Old January 13th 05, 08:35 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Nero

Also the modem does not have a firewall at all.

Old January 13th 05, 12:06 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ernest Bilko

Moon wrote:
Hi, bit new to networking and routing and would appreciate some help!
I have a linksys ADSL2MUE modem and a linksys BEFSR41 router, 3 pc's are
cabled to the router. Both the router and modem have dhcp servers - should
both be acting as dhcp servers or should i disable on one? if so which one
is the prefferable one? Also they both seem to running NAT firewalls should
both be left doing this?
I have left the modem on default IP address and changed the routers so both
can be accessed.

If you have no requirement for access from the outside leave things as
they if you have ditch both and buy a cheap modem-router the there are
a few around for about 40 pounds that have the Alcatel chipset that make
setting up access really easy.