WRT54G-UK

Old January 9th 05, 04:31 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Lima

Default WRT54G-UK

Looking to get a WRT54G-UK. I have a number of questions though and hope you
knowledgeable gents may be able to help me

1. Where is the cheapest to get it? I see amazon offering 50 delivered.

2. Broadband isnt available til April in my area but we are currently using
24/7 dialup via ICS. Will ICS continue to work through wireless and then
when broadband is avaialable I can get an ethernet modem and go broadband
like that.

3. I read using this with broadband any pc can connect to the broadband
internet without needing a specfic server pc?

4. File and printer sharing works okay?

I am connecting a laptop via 802.11g and two further pc with wires... do you
think it should all work okay? Pretty newish house with thin walls so dont
think reception should be a problem

TIA

Liam

Old January 9th 05, 05:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
lurch

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 16:31:24 -0000, "Lima" strung together
this:

2. Broadband isnt available til April in my area but we are currently using
24/7 dialup via ICS. Will ICS continue to work through wireless and then
when broadband is avaialable I can get an ethernet modem and go broadband
like that.

Yes.

3. I read using this with broadband any pc can connect to the broadband
internet without needing a specfic server pc?

Yes, the PCs access the internet through the modem\router directly so
no other PC's need to be on other than the one you're using at the
time.

4. File and printer sharing works okay?

Yep.

I am connecting a laptop via 802.11g and two further pc with wires... do you
think it should all work okay? Pretty newish house with thin walls so dont
think reception should be a problem

Now that is a good question, it might, it might not. Should be OK if
the walls are internal stud partition within a reasonable distance.
--

SJW
Old January 9th 05, 07:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Lima

Thanks Lurch for the info

Also noted there is a WRT54GS or WRT54G

Does the speed boost on the WRT54GS require a special type of wireless NIC
or is this 35% increase compatiable with all 802.11g hardware.

Liam

Old January 9th 05, 08:15 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Lima

Sorry also ready somewhere this is not compatiable with BT ADSL lines??

Is this really the case :S???

Liam

Old January 9th 05, 08:41 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
lurch

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 20:15:11 -0000, "lima" strung together
this:

Also noted there is a WRT54GS or WRT54G

Does the speed boost on the WRT54GS require a special type of wireless NIC
or is this 35% increase compatiable with all 802.11g hardware.

Not sure as I've never used it. I'd have thought the website should
give some info. You can download the user manual from there also so
you should be able to find the info.

Sorry also ready somewhere this is not compatiable with BT ADSL lines??

Is this really the case :S???

Again, I'm not sure without looking. From what I can remember the
WRT54G is a router. You need a modem as well to connect between the
router and ADSL line or modem\router combined instead of the two
units.
--

SJW
Old January 9th 05, 10:24 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
mikeFNB

the s version also has parental control
the extra 35% bit on range ETC can be enabled by a software upgrade to the G
anyway.
nice router, run one for also a year now.
it also serves me mate at the bottom of a 100ft garden by just sitting on a
window sill so i'd recommend it.

as for you questions, the other gent has done a splendid job
mike

Old January 9th 05, 10:35 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
lurch

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 22:24:31 GMT, "mikeFNB" [email protected]
strung together this:

as for you questions, the other gent has done a splendid job

;-)
--

SJW
Old January 10th 05, 08:51 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Lima

If you dont mind me asking mikeFNB, I have been reading around on the net
last night a bit further and people seem to be having trouble with it for
ADSL. Can I ask whats your current internet connection? Is it something like
BT/Wanadoo or a cable connection like NTL??

Liam

Old January 10th 05, 08:07 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Steve Bilton

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 08:51:42 -0000, "lima" wrote:

If you dont mind me asking mikeFNB, I have been reading around on the net
last night a bit further and people seem to be having trouble with it for
ADSL. Can I ask whats your current internet connection? Is it something like
BT/Wanadoo or a cable connection like NTL??

Liam

Liam,

According to www.wifi-warehouse.co.uk the WRT54g is a broadband
router, and the router available for ADSL is WAG54G.

I use a WRT54G with by Blueyonder cable connection and have no problem
with it in the 18 months that I have had it - other then moving to a
larger older house which has reduced the speed at the opposite end of
the house, so I am looking to buy a 2nd and link them to extend and
improve the wireless network.

The above retailer have a useful "live" 24 hour assistance available,
they have answered my questions very well to date.

HTH

SteveB