Annoying Wireless problem

Old January 10th 05, 11:52 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Richard

Default Annoying Wireless problem

Well its probably not strange to people in the know... but

I have a Wirless network set up through a Buffalo 54mps router at home. It
has 3 PCs (one wired) connected to it. Up until a day ago it was working
flawlessly, then Suddenly the main PC downstairs woudn't connect ,couldnt
even see the network. ( using a Buffalo 54mps PCI card with extended
aerial - about 4 meters in a line of sight from the router) I naturally
thought the PCI card/aerial was at fault as I plugged in a Linksys USB
wireless connector from the upstairs PC ( 2 upsatirs are working fine still)
and it connected ok ( albeit it was dropping the connection every now and
then - but it worked) Today I bought a Brand New Linksys wireless PCI card
and set it up downstairs - it can see the network ok - but it just will not
connect to it at all.??

I just cant quite understand why? When the other 2 upstairs will and using
the USB connector I can get the downstairs one to connect also?? One thing
is puzzling me though (this may be it) when I installed the new PCI card it
stated it was Wirless connection 6? Does this mean I have 5 others
somewhere on my PC? I have checked in Network connections , Device
manager - uninstalled all previous software also. Where are my other 5
connections then?
I have also disabled Windows Firewall to no avail also. It is unsecure at
the moment so a WEP key is not the issue either.

Any help appreciated on this as its driving me nuts!!!

Old January 11th 05, 06:58 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 23:52:54 -0000, "Richard"
wrote:

then - but it worked) Today I bought a Brand New Linksys wireless PCI card
and set it up downstairs - it can see the network ok - but it just will not
connect to it at all.??

I just cant quite understand why? When the other 2 upstairs will and using
the USB connector I can get the downstairs one to connect also??

Richard, check the SSID entry, the buffalo equipment will have a
different default SSID to the linksys and all MUST be the same to
connect.

Geoff Lane

Old January 12th 05, 06:29 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 20:13:42 -0000, "Richard"
wrote:

SSID is already checked and is the same..

Sometimes drivers for two different network cards can cause a problem,
can you completely uninstal or delete your old buffalo drivers, this
might resolve something.

Also, are you using any security settings, open key, shared key, wep
settings etc.

Sometimes different manufacturers devices are not easy to set up but
I've got a Netgear AP plus Orinoco, Linksys and Broadcom cards and all
work ok.

Geoff Lane