Wireless Network Problems

Old January 12th 05, 05:07 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Steve

Default Wireless Network Problems

Hi All,

I have a wireless access point connected to a wired router and have used a
laptop with pcmcia wireless card with it for a couple of years without any
problems.

I have recently purchased a new laptop with built in wireless capabilities.
The new laptop connects ok to the access point and surfing the net is
generally fine. However, when I try to transfer a file on the new laptop
(either download, or cross-network file copy) the access point appears to
hang up and reboot itself. I've tried using the pcmcia wireless adapter in
the new laptop, but the same thing happens. I can transfer about 1Mb of data
across the network then the A/P resets. As stated previously, this never
happened with my old laptop.

My question is, is this likely to be a problem with the A/P, or with the new
laptop? I can't understand how a new laptop can cause an A/P to reset, but I
need to eliminate something.

Does anybody have any ideas, has this been seen before? Unfortunately, I
can't get hold of another A/P to eliminate it. I would be interested to hear
ideas and reasons as to why a new laptop can cause this to happen, and
whether I need a new A/P or to take the laptop back to the shop.

Many thanks for any advice,
Steve.