Cable Length

Old January 13th 05, 06:24 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dablyz

Default Cable Length

Hi
I am connecting my pc - with internet to my laptop. For this, i am using a
wired, CAT5e crossover cable. Currently, i have two different lengths of
cable - 12m and 15m. Both reach the destination with much cable to spare,
obviously the 15m one moreso. I was wondering, however, would there be any
difference in speed/performance if i used the 15m as opposed to the 12m?
Thank you, and sorry if it was a bit long winded

--
~~~~_~~~~~

Dablyz

Old January 13th 05, 06:57 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Zoidberg

Dablyz wrote:
Hi
I am connecting my pc - with internet to my laptop. For this, i am
using a wired, CAT5e crossover cable. Currently, i have two different
lengths of cable - 12m and 15m. Both reach the destination with much
cable to spare, obviously the 15m one moreso. I was wondering,
however, would there be any difference in speed/performance if i used
the 15m as opposed to the 12m? Thank you, and sorry if it was a bit
long winded

Assuming that the cables are both in good condition and undamaged , no.

--
Alex

Hermes: "We can't afford that! Especially not Zoidberg!"
Zoidberg: "They took away my credit cards!"

www.drzoidberg.co.uk
www.sffh.co.uk
www.ebayfaq.co.uk

Old January 15th 05, 12:42 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Graham

Hi
I am connecting my pc - with internet to my laptop. For this, i am using a
wired, CAT5e crossover cable. Currently, i have two different lengths of
cable - 12m and 15m. Both reach the destination with much cable to spare,
obviously the 15m one moreso. I was wondering, however, would there be any
difference in speed/performance if i used the 15m as opposed to the 12m?
Thank you, and sorry if it was a bit long winded

--
~~~~_~~~~~

Dablyz

I doubt if you would sacrifice any performance right up to the 'maximum'
length of 100M
and even beyond.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old January 15th 05, 01:13 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ben Cottrell

Graham wrote:
Hi
I am connecting my pc - with internet to my laptop. For this, i am using a
wired, CAT5e crossover cable. Currently, i have two different lengths of
cable - 12m and 15m. Both reach the destination with much cable to spare,
obviously the 15m one moreso. I was wondering, however, would there be any
difference in speed/performance if i used the 15m as opposed to the 12m?
Thank you, and sorry if it was a bit long winded

--
~~~~_~~~~~

Dablyz

I doubt if you would sacrifice any performance right up to the 'maximum'
length of 100M
and even beyond.

less than 30m I doubt there'd be alot of difference, but you certainly
would notice it over 100M.. The packetloss would be pretty horrific over
that kind of distance. there is a very good reason for the existence
of Repeaters.

--
Ben Cottrell AKA Bench
Old January 15th 05, 09:21 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
David Wade

"Ben Cottrell" wrote in message
Graham wrote:
[...]

Depends on a lot of things. There must be some safety margin in 100mtrs.
We have run stuff slighty over with no noticble degradation, say 105M.

--
Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

Old January 15th 05, 10:28 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rod

Don't forget that the quality of the connections and routing of the cable
could affect things...

Regards,

Rod.... www.manwivavan.co.uk

Old January 15th 05, 11:17 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ernest Bilko

David Wade wrote:
"Ben Cottrell" wrote in message

Depends on a lot of things. There must be some safety margin in 100mtrs.
We have run stuff slighty over with no noticble degradation, say 105M.

--
Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

At the other end a lot of head scratching has been caused by using
cables that are too short ( less than 1 metre) to connect routers and
hubs --- extremely short cables like very long cables cause timing issues.