Network Cards / Video cards

Old January 13th 05, 07:38 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
SJ

Default Network Cards / Video cards

Hi can anyone recommend any network and video cards that will work
WITHOUT any extra drivers for Win 98, 2000 and XP, if thats not
possible one as near as possible.

thanks

Steve
Old January 13th 05, 07:46 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
lurch

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 19:38:47 GMT, SJ strung
together this:

Hi can anyone recommend any network and video cards that will work
WITHOUT any extra drivers for Win 98, 2000 and XP, if thats not
possible one as near as possible.

None, from what I've seen. Why do you need no drivers? Installing a
card is simple.
--

SJW
Old January 13th 05, 08:14 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
SJ

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 20:00:09 -0000, Rob Morley
wrote:

In article , "SJ"
says...
Hi can anyone recommend any network and video cards that will work
WITHOUT any extra drivers for Win 98, 2000 and XP, if thats not
possible one as near as possible.

Although lots of hardware will work with the drivers that come with
Windows, and there's probably some that has drivers provided by 98,
2k and XP, those drivers are likely to be sub-optimal because of
their age - you should check for the latest drivers for your hardware
when installing/reinstalling. Why is this a problem for you?

Hi thanks, they are to send to my daughter in university and i thought
any cards with no drivers would be easier for her.
Old January 13th 05, 08:28 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
lurch

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 20:14:07 GMT, SJ strung
together this:

Hi thanks, they are to send to my daughter in university and i thought
any cards with no drivers would be easier for her.

Does she need to install the same card on 98, 2K and XP?

The add hardware wizard is pretty undaunting, most hardware comes with
a guide that is easy to follow. I've just fitted a Zytel 10\100 NIC
and it was just a case of selecting the 'have disk' option and then
selecting the windows 2000 directory from the floppy supplied. If she
can use a PC, and physically fit the NIC, then loading the driver
won't be a challenge

Assuming she is going to be using the network then installing the card
is much easier than setting up the network connections.
--

SJW