Netgear ME102 & Netgea rMA101

Old January 14th 05, 03:43 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tazmanian Devil

Default Netgear ME102 & Netgea rMA101

I have a Netgear ME102 wireless access point on my main PC and a Netgear
MA101 wireless USB adapter on another PC that im trying to LAN with
All software/drivers are setup but one is not recognising the other!. Shared
folders/drives are setup on both, both on the same Workgroup etc.

The Netgear ME102 & Netgear MA101 are communicating in some way as when i
change the channel on the ME102 the MA101 is updated and channel is
changed..but thats the only communication I get!!

Since being fairly new to wireless networking was wondering if anyone had
any ideas as to the configuration/settings
(I have no manuals etc for either!)

Thanks in advanced

TazzyUK

Old January 14th 05, 10:16 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
David

"Tazmanian Devil" wrote in message
I have a Netgear ME102 wireless access point on my main PC and a Netgear
MA101 wireless USB adapter on another PC that im trying to LAN with
All software/drivers are setup but one is not recognising the other!.
Shared
folders/drives are setup on both, both on the same Workgroup etc.

The Netgear ME102 & Netgear MA101 are communicating in some way as when i
change the channel on the ME102 the MA101 is updated and channel is
changed..but thats the only communication I get!!

Since being fairly new to wireless networking was wondering if anyone had
any ideas as to the configuration/settings
(I have no manuals etc for either!)

Thanks in advanced

TazzyUK

As far as I know the ME102 can only act as an access point or a wireless
bridge (in other words I don't think that it can act as a wireless adapter).
When you say that you have it "on my main PC" do you mean that you've
plugged it into your main PCs USB port via the USB on the back of the ME102?
If you have, this is designed only to configure the ME102, at least as far
as I am aware. It's not designed to be a USB wireless adapter.

The ME102 should have come with a CD which has a management program on it.
You use this management program to configure the ME102 via the USB port
(once you've configured it you can manage it from then on via a web
interface - so you can disconnect the USB lead once it's setup).

In another post you talk about having a hub and another PC. The ME102 is
designed to be connected to such a hub (via a standard RJ45/twisted pair
ethernet lead - you'll find an RJ45 socket on the ME102). This will then
allow the PC with the MA101 to communicate with the hub (via the ME102) and
hence, to any other PC hard wired to the hub.

As such, you still need to hard wire the PC that currently has the ME102 on
it to the hub (as I say, you'll disconnect the USB cable to the ME102 once
it's setup) or alternatively buy another wireless USB adapter (or PCI
adapter, etc.) and use that to connect via the ME102.

If you need it, I would have thought you could download an electronic
version of the ME102 manual from the Netgear support site.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, David

Old January 14th 05, 10:29 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
David

"David" wrote in message
[...]

As soon as I posted it occurred to me that I might have the wrong end of the
stick and you might have tried to connect the ME102 to your PC's network
card via an cross-over lead (rather than USB as I assumed above). I've never
tried it, but I guess if this is the case and you've setup your PCs network
card properly and your ME102 as an access point properly then that should
work. Doing it this way would mean that you couldn't connect to your hub
(unless you have a second network card hard wired to it in your PC) but you
should be able to communicate between the two wireless PCs.

David.