Advice on WIFI Setup Please

Old January 14th 05, 09:20 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Chris Oldroyd

Default Advice on WIFI Setup Please

Ok i have two desktop PC's and two laptops, in the house, my main phone
point is in the lounge and i dont want a pc there. I have bought a 4 port
adsl modem and router combined and would like to put this in the lounge on
its own connected to the adsl line and have all the other pc's with wifi
cards.
My question is does the adsl modem \ router have to be connected by ethernet
to one of the pc's or just for the initial setup etc.It shows on the box
always one pc directly wired to the router.

Thanks
Chris

Old January 14th 05, 10:08 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

"Chris Oldroyd" wrote in message
[snip]
My question is does the adsl modem \ router have to be connected by
ethernet to one of the pc's or just for the initial setup etc.

Just for initial setup.

Alex

Old January 14th 05, 10:46 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Treefrog

"Alex Fraser" wrote in message
"Chris Oldroyd" wrote in message
[snip]
My question is does the adsl modem \ router have to be connected by
ethernet to one of the pc's or just for the initial setup etc.

Just for initial setup.

Hold you horses. It might depend on the router? Although, in all cases I've
ever seen they will run indepedently. What router is it?

Old January 14th 05, 04:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Not Me

Chris Oldroyd wrote:
Ok i have two desktop PC's and two laptops, in the house, my main phone
point is in the lounge and i dont want a pc there. I have bought a 4 port
adsl modem and router combined and would like to put this in the lounge on
its own connected to the adsl line and have all the other pc's with wifi
cards.
My question is does the adsl modem \ router have to be connected by ethernet
to one of the pc's or just for the initial setup etc.It shows on the box
always one pc directly wired to the router.

For the initial setup, I think it's more a case of "highly recommended",
as if you had no possible way of making a direct connection - and fobbed
up the wireless security - you may get a little stuck!

HTH,
Chris