Recommendations for ADSL router with wireless

Old January 14th 05, 12:43 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martin Underwood

Default Recommendations for ADSL router with wireless

I have a customer who needs an ADSL router with wireless. I've shortlisted
several devices, but I wanted to check whether people had any good or bad
experiences.

- DLink G604
- Netgear DG834G
- Linksys WAG54G
- 3Com Office Connect 11g

Speed of wireless connection is probably not important: the wireless
connection will be used mainly for accessing the internet (where the 512
Kbps ADSL link will be the rate-limiting step) and local PC-to-PC transfers
will be the exception rather than norm.

Is it a good idea for the wireless cards in the computers to be made by the
same manufacturer as the ADSL modem, or does this not matter? It looks as if
one laptop and one desktop will need wireless cards.

I'm hoping that one wireless access point (the one in the ADSL modem) will
be sufficient to cover everywhere where the PCs will be used.

Old January 14th 05, 01:52 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Paul

Martin Underwood wrote:
[...]

I have the Wired Netgear DG834 and it's been fine. Wireless one should be
ok.
Check out www.adslguide.org.uk

Old January 14th 05, 04:50 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Steve O

Yes, I bought that Netgear one, and thought it was quite excellent.
A breeze to setup up properly and very reliable.

Old January 14th 05, 07:02 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bhup

I have setup 2 DLink G604T - the navigation is a real pain .
Linksys WAG54G is a breeze to setup and works very well.. but the WUSB54G
adaptor was a problem Linksys works well with Belkin Dlink etc adaptors

I am currently running a Linksys WAP54G (accesspoint with my Linksys cable
router) the beauty of this setup is I can at will powerdown just the
wireless part of it
Dlink does 256bit WEP but its slow running this encryption
Linksys works well with WPA encryption ( infact its so easy its unreal)

--
All outgoing emails are scanned with Norton Antivirus 2004

Old January 14th 05, 07:34 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
tmcd35

I too have been using a Linksys Wireless Router on cable for around 18
months. Very impressed, no downtime - only probs came from dodgy cable
modem. I'd happily recommend Linksys

Terry.

Old January 15th 05, 11:11 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ernest Bilko

Martin Underwood wrote:
I have a customer who needs an ADSL router with wireless. I've shortlisted
several devices, but I wanted to check whether people had any good or bad
experiences.

- DLink G604
- Netgear DG834G
- Linksys WAG54G
- 3Com Office Connect 11g

snip

None of the above --- any posts in the news groups about router
firmware problems always seem to abut the big brand names. I contrast I
have had no problems with any of the el cheapo routers I have installed.
Ebuyer were doing a coule of very good bundle offer on a Dynamode and
wireless cards last week.
Old January 15th 05, 12:25 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andrew Sayers

"Martin Underwood" wrote:

I have a customer who needs an ADSL router with wireless. I've shortlisted
several devices, but I wanted to check whether people had any good or bad
experiences.

- DLink G604
- Netgear DG834G
- Linksys WAG54G
- 3Com Office Connect 11g

snip

I'm using the Linksys here. It's generally reliable but does need to be rebooted
every so often as it seems to crash on occasion. Works well with the Linksys laptop
card, and also a laptop with generic (non-Linksys) built in wireless.

However if it is for business use, I've heard that the Draytek Vigor 2600 is an
excellent piece of kit and very reliable. Its more expensive than the WAG54g (around
twice the price at 150 mark), but it might save you being called everytime your
customer's router crashes.

--
Email address is a known spammer.
If you'd like to reply to me, then please
Old January 15th 05, 02:19 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martin Underwood

"Andrew Sayers" wrote in message
"Martin Underwood" wrote:

[...]

That's a good point. As a techie, it would be the work of a few seconds to
do an ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew as a first resort and to reboot
the router as a second resort if it was my own network, but explaining to
someone else what to do (and for them to remember what to do in future) is
more difficult.

Old January 23rd 05, 04:13 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martin Underwood

"nick" wrote in message
None of those, get the Belkin.

Which model? Any particular reason (eg reliability, additional features) for
recommending this one over the others?

Probably one of the most important criteria (apart from the "reach" of the
wireless signal) is resistance to (or auto-connecting after) ADSL line
drops. I gather some modems are better than others for staying up without
requiring any manual intervention to restart after they've dropped the ADSL
connection.