Ethernet Over AC Question

Old January 16th 05, 02:16 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Wizzard

Default Ethernet Over AC Question

Hi all,
I am looking in to using these new ethernet over ac adapters I have seen.
I am in the UK and have ADSL, unfortunately I can only get ADSL on the
master socket in my house.
I have an ADSL router plugged in to the master socket at the moment, which
connects to a wireless access point.
My PCs upstairs (which sit next to each other) both have wireless cards in
them.
I find my wireless connection keeps dropping and is always at around 10-20%
signal strength.
I want to have a ethernet AC adapter connecting to the router downstairs and
another ethernet AC adapter connecting to my 10Mb hub upstairs which both of
my PCs connect to.
Is this possible?
The only Ethernet over AC adaters I have seen in the UK only have USB
connecters and not RJ45.
Do RJ45 ones exist?
If anyone could give me more info, some recommendations etc I would
appreciate it.
Cheers.

Old January 16th 05, 03:58 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tony

"Wizzard" wrote in message
[...]

http://www.mutek.co.uk/acatalog/copy...k_adaptor.html

http://www.lindy.com/uk/productfolde...5120/index.php

http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline.htm

to name but a few - do a google search for Ethernet over mains

Old January 18th 05, 11:33 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Paul D.Smith

"Wizzard" wrote in message
[...]

Your PCs are not, by any chance, almost "above" the router are they? Have
you tried aligning the little antenna so that they are approximately
parallel?

Paul DS

Old January 18th 05, 07:47 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Wizzard

Nah, they are not straight above the router.
I can live with the signal strength of about 10%, i get about 5-10Mbps which
is much faster than my broadband anyway.
For no reason the router will lock up. I will still be connected according
to windows but I cant ping it or access anything else on the network.
The telephone extension cables are "not good enough" according to BT (even
though it was a BT engineer who fitted them some time ago!).
I have a 10/100Mb switch which I can use to connect my PCs I just need an
internet connection on the both of them.
The 14Mbps of Ethernet Over Mains will be fine.

Can anyone recommed a make?
I have seen a few but have never heard of any of them!
Lindy?
Powerline?
Solwise? (cheapest at 31.44 but comes out towards the end of the month)

Thanks for the reply (and to you Tony) and info.

"Paul D.Smith" wrote in message
. net...

Old January 19th 05, 10:56 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Paul D.Smith

[snip]
Nah, they are not straight above the router.

The reason I asked is that apparently the little "whip" aerials have poor
coverage "above and below" which implies that the coverage is like a sphere,
but with cones removed above and below the aerials.

I wondered if, by reorientating the aerials, you could improve their range
and thus your connectivity.

Good luck with the Ethernet over AC though - sounds interesting.

Paul DS.

Old January 26th 05, 06:52 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Wizzard

Don't know if anyone is interested but I decided to go for the ethernet over
mains adapters.
I bought 2 Acer HomePlug Ethernet adapters from eBuyer for about 30 each.
Plugged one in downstairs, straight into the ADSL router and one upstairs
which goes to a 4 port hub.
I didnt need to do anything other than that and I was connected to the
Internet within minutes.
Its quite a distance from the router to the hub (far corners of the house)
and I think the power cables must be poor quality (like everything else in
the house!) as I only get ~6Mbps.
But this is fine as its only used for my 512K ADSL.
Its been going for 2 days solid, which my Wireless wouldn't have, so
hopefully thats fixed it.
Thanks for everyones help.