DG834G questions

Old January 16th 05, 02:56 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

Default DG834G questions

I've been playing with a Netgear DG834G recently (as opposed to my normal
Belkin 7630) and have the following minor quibbles/questions and am
wondering if its just me,. or have other users of the DG834G experienced the
same issues.

Using the latest v1.05 firmware..

a) Under "Attached Devices" it displays "Unknown" against Device Name for my
(wired) PC which is running WinXP2 with Windows Firewall - instead of the
computer name

b) Sometimes when visiting a web site for the 1st time, I get a "page not
found", though it appears when I refresh the page - though this could be
down to my ISP's DNS servers (so I am now trying manually specifying some
other DNS servers to see if it continues to happen.)

Also time settings - its a shame that one must manually choose "Adjust
for Daylight Savings Time" at the beginning of BST and then uncheck it at
the end of the Daylight Savings period for the times to be correct - rather
than the router being able to do this itself intelligently (once the option
has been selected)

Regards
Sunil

Old January 16th 05, 06:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message

I've been playing with a Netgear DG834G recently (as opposed to my normal
Belkin 7630) and have the following minor quibbles/questions and am
wondering if its just me,. or have other users of the DG834G experienced
the same issues.

Using the latest v1.05 firmware..

a) Under "Attached Devices" it displays "Unknown" against Device Name for
my (wired) PC which is running WinXP2 with Windows Firewall - instead of
the computer name

I don't think the PC name it is automatically passed unless the name has
been configured via some sort of LAN config which I'm unable to recall.

b) Sometimes when visiting a web site for the 1st time, I get a "page not
found", though it appears when I refresh the page - though this could be
down to my ISP's DNS servers (so I am now trying manually specifying some
other DNS servers to see if it continues to happen.)

I had problems with my own ISP in this regard - I manually specified servers
and this seems to have fixed the problem.

Also time settings - its a shame that one must manually choose "Adjust
for Daylight Savings Time" at the beginning of BST and then uncheck it at
the end of the Daylight Savings period for the times to be correct -
rather than the router being able to do this itself intelligently (once
the option has been selected)

It does do it automatically - eventually. It takes a number of weeks
following daylight savings time changes for the router to adjust despite
receiving prompt time server information! I don't know why this is but it
does adjust the settings after a number of weeks. Using different time
servers doesn't seem to help. It could be a firmware problem.

Gareth.

Old January 17th 05, 03:50 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband

"Gareth" wrote in message

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message

[...]

Does anyone know if the 834G is now "end of life" and it's unlikely there
will be any further firmware updates?

Old January 17th 05, 07:38 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth

"M" wrote in message

"Gareth" wrote in message

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message

[...]

Well, there hasn't been an upgrade for a while despite the unfixed problems
(including time update, p2p disconnections and the tendency to reboot when
facing a line noise problem - firmware bug probably causing a buffer
overflow in reported line noise).

I don't have time to look at the history of previous models and when their
updates stopped but a poster here a few weeks or so ago described his
previous experience of being left in the lurch by Netgear in terms of bugged
firmware.

Gareth.

Old January 17th 05, 07:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Troy Tempest

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message

I've been playing with a Netgear DG834G recently (as opposed to my normal
Belkin 7630) and have the following minor quibbles/questions and am
wondering if its just me,. or have other users of the DG834G experienced
the same issues.

Using the latest v1.05 firmware..

a) Under "Attached Devices" it displays "Unknown" against Device Name for
my (wired) PC which is running WinXP2 with Windows Firewall - instead of
the computer name

You have to name the devices in LAN IP Setup down in the address reservation
bit.

b) Sometimes when visiting a web site for the 1st time, I get a "page not
found", though it appears when I refresh the page - though this could be
down to my ISP's DNS servers (so I am now trying manually specifying some
other DNS servers to see if it continues to happen.)

I'm assuming that you're on Bulldog the same as myself Sunil, as this has
happened to me but only in the last few weeks.

Also time settings - its a shame that one must manually choose "Adjust
for Daylight Savings Time" at the beginning of BST and then uncheck it at
the end of the Daylight Savings period for the times to be correct -
rather than the router being able to do this itself intelligently (once
the option has been selected)

Can't say I've noticed this niggle, afaik it's always kept the right time.

Neil

Old January 17th 05, 10:25 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
David

"M" wrote in message

"Gareth" wrote in message

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message

[...]

I don't know the answer to whether the DG834G is "end of life" but
interestingly if you look at Netgear's source code page
(http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101238.asp) you'll see that there
is a version 1.10.08 listed, although it's not offered as an option on the
main DG834G support page yet. So whether this is beta code still awaiting
general release I'm not sure but it looks like someone is doing further
work.

David

Old January 17th 05, 10:36 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband

"David" wrote in message

"M" wrote in message

"Gareth" wrote in message

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message

[...]

I did some searching and yes there's new beta here....
http://www.longview.eclipse.co.uk/netgear

Seems ok from comments in Netgear Forums.

Old January 17th 05, 10:41 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Filthy Rich

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 19:51:17 -0000, "Troy Tempest"
wrote:

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message

I've been playing with a Netgear DG834G recently (as opposed to my normal
Belkin 7630) and have the following minor quibbles/questions and am
wondering if its just me,. or have other users of the DG834G experienced
the same issues.

b) Sometimes when visiting a web site for the 1st time, I get a "page not
found", though it appears when I refresh the page - though this could be
down to my ISP's DNS servers (so I am now trying manually specifying some
other DNS servers to see if it continues to happen.)

I'm assuming that you're on Bulldog the same as myself Sunil, as this has
happened to me but only in the last few weeks.

This has also started happening to me in the last few weeks but I
don't think it is the DG834G. I'm on Pipex and assumed it was them or
the fact that it seemed to start not long after I upgraded to 2Mb
service.

Filthy Rich
Music House
Old January 17th 05, 11:08 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

Gareth wrote:

: Well, there hasn't been an upgrade for a while despite the unfixed problems
: (including time update, p2p disconnections and the tendency to reboot when
: facing a line noise problem - firmware bug probably causing a buffer
: overflow in reported line noise).

Well I have seen NONE of the above problems! Mine just works week after week
with no problems!
Old January 18th 05, 01:07 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"M" wrote in message
Does anyone know if the 834G is now "end of life" and it's unlikely there
will be any further firmware updates?

I imagine that firmware updates will continue for a while at least - Netgear
promise that this model will support ADSL2/2+ and I imagine that will need
require additional firmware updates.

Regards
Sunil