adsl pci modem, and adsl ethernet modem

Old January 16th 05, 10:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,alt.computer

Default adsl pci modem, and adsl ethernet modem

i'm very inexperienced with netwroks, as can be seen from this post! My
aim is to learn.

I want to buy a PCI modem and an ethernet modem - so that I experience
using them. I have a router and simply want some other hardware to play
with for learning purposes.

I'm told that some ethernet modems have the option to enable or disable
PPPoE. I'd like to buy a modem with that feature so that I can connect
up in 2 different ways (with or without PPPoE).

Could anybody link me to something on ebay that does that?

Regading the PCI modem - is one as good as another? would they all
connect dialling up in the same way?

Old January 17th 05, 03:52 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,alt.computer
chuckie®

Slightly confused on this end. DSL uses a DSL modem (usually external) and
an ethernet connection (either onboard or PCI). I can only guess that by
'PCI modem' you are referring to the ethernet card? Mayhap there is an
internal PCI type DSL modem, however, I haven't seen one. A standard PCI
modem connects to a telephone line, not part of DSL, or cable for that
matter. Do you have DSL service now? Mayhap it's different on your side of
the 'pond', and, I, therefore, don't know what I'm talking about (entirely
possible, btw)...luck...

Old January 17th 05, 10:05 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,alt.computer

nope, same either side of the pond.

DSL Modem can be internal - PCI. Or external. In which case it can be
USB or an ethernet modem. Ethernet modems plug into an ethernet
port(onboard or pci).

Nothing is 'made in england' anymore. or 'made in britain'. We get it
all from you guys/blokes over in the USA.

PCI DSL modem
http://www.edcwireless.com/PCIDslModemfeat.htm

PCI ADSL modem
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...50118 33&rd=1

I think the only difference, is that on this side of the pond we call
it ADSL and on your side it's called DSL. I may be wrong though,

Old January 17th 05, 01:16 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,alt.computer
Thor

wrote in message
ups.com...
nope, same either side of the pond.

DSL Modem can be internal - PCI. Or external. In which case it can be
USB or an ethernet modem. Ethernet modems plug into an ethernet
port(onboard or pci).

Nothing is 'made in england' anymore. or 'made in britain'. We get it
all from you guys/blokes over in the USA.

and we get it from China, Taiwan, and Korea. LOL!

Old January 17th 05, 09:08 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,alt.computer
Plato

Thor wrote:

Nothing is 'made in england' anymore. or 'made in britain'. We get it
all from you guys/blokes over in the USA.

and we get it from China, Taiwan, and Korea. LOL!

That'd have to be South Korea.