Home Network Help

Old January 17th 05, 08:16 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jim Corbett

Default Home Network Help

Hi, hope someone can help.

I am looking to install a network to link a desktop PC in an outside prefab
with a Laptop inside my house. The aim is to share files and an AOL 9.0
Broadband internet connection using Internet Connection Sharing.

A wireless signal will not be strong enough to provide a reliable link so I
am looking to install Cat5 cabling and run it from the prefab outside, into
the hallway in the house. I need to know the best way of doing this.

My initial plan was to run the Cat5 cabling from the prefab into the hallway
where I will have a Wireless Access Point which will boost a wireless signal
through the house allowing the Laptop to connect.

Currently the Laptop does not have a wireless network card. The Laptop is
installed with Windows XP Pro whilst the Desktop PC is installed with
Windows XP Home Edition.

I would like any suggestions as to the best way to accomplish this and
recommendations on suitable hardware, any help would be most appreciated.

I am also aware of potential problems sharing AOL 9.0, can anyone provide a
workaround to enable me to share the Internet using AOL 9.0?

I look forward to any replies.

Thanks,

Jim

Old January 18th 05, 01:34 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Jim Corbett says...
[...]

How far is the distance?

I've just done an install exactly the same as you're wanting to do
using a DLink DSL604+ ADSL Modem router in the house. It provides
internet access to a workshop 200ft away through two walls. If you use
those stupid USB WiFi adapters then you've no chance but I used a
Belkin 802.11g PCI WiFi card in the PC and its currently running around
80% signal strength. The WiFi signal is strong enough to provide
wireless access throughout the house.

--
Conor

-- George Patton
Old January 18th 05, 01:46 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Treefrog

"Jim Corbett" wrote in message
[...]

Basically AOL sucks! I had sooooooooo much trouble sharing my dads 'net
connection, I moved back out just so I could get a decent ISP - well not
quite, but it was a big deciding factor.

AOL use proprietry protocols (i.e. not tcp/ip) so standard network gear
doesn't work. The only way I managed to get around it was to install
FreeProxy (http://www.handcraftedsoftware.org) on my dads machine and proxy
all the services I wanted to use. Http, smtp, pop3,ftp,ssh.
Either that, or buy AOL "recommended" wireless kit. Unfortunately, it's
probably cheap crap.

If you want to get into home networking, I'd strongly consider getting a
reasonable ISP.

Nathan

Old January 21st 05, 03:59 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jim Corbett

Hi Nathan,

Sorry for the delayed reply, my wife has just given birth to twins so I have
been pre-occupied with other things!

I note your comments regarding AOL so have decided to put this on hold for
now. With regards my cabling theory, do you know if this would work?

Thanks,

Jim

Old January 28th 05, 05:50 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
PeteD

Jim

I use a Belkin 54g Wireless Notebook Network Card slotted in the CardBus
port on my Laptop and find that I can connect to the Internet (Telewest Blue
Yonder Broadband)using a Belkin ADSL Router with no problems anywhere within
a large house. It does say the signal strength is getting low at the house
extremities but the connection to the Internet is still okay and fast. I
haven't tried it outdoors for range.

Your cabling plan sounds okay to me as the Router comes with ports which can
be hard wired to 4 computers and the 200 feet shouldn't be a problem.

I can't say I have heard any good stories regarding AOL 9.

Good luck with your project.

Kind regards

Pete