Wireless Networking

Old January 18th 05, 02:36 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
turbo

Default Wireless Networking

I'd like to create a wireless network and would appreciate advise on
how to proceed, please.

Currently I use BT Broadband with a Speedtouch 330 modem. I would
like to include the following in the network.

Compaq Evo N800v - XP Pro
Dell Inspiron Pentium III 500 mhz - Win 98
hp psc 750 printer scanner

However I woud like both the laptops to be fully mobile (ie not
physically attached to the printer or modem) and be able to use either
without the other being present/switched on.

Thanks
Old January 18th 05, 03:58 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martin Underwood

"turbo" wrote in message
om...
I'd like to create a wireless network and would appreciate advise on
how to proceed, please.

Currently I use BT Broadband with a Speedtouch 330 modem. I would
like to include the following in the network.

Compaq Evo N800v - XP Pro
Dell Inspiron Pentium III 500 mhz - Win 98
hp psc 750 printer scanner

However I woud like both the laptops to be fully mobile (ie not
physically attached to the printer or modem) and be able to use either
without the other being present/switched on.

Does the Speedtouch connect to its computer by USB? If so, you might have
problems for two reasons:

1) I'm not sure whether anyone makes wireless routers that can be plugged
into a USB broadband modem

2) A broadband line that is intended for single-computer use (which a USB
modem normally implies) may not be suitable for a multi-PC router network.

You may have to get the broadband parameters of the line upgraded to support
a routed network and then replace the Speedtouch with a combined ADSL modem
/ router / wireless access point, such as the DLink G604T or the Netgear
DG834G.

The printer/scanner is an added complication. I presume it has at least USB
port and maybe a network port. You should be able to drive it at least as a
networked printer - if it's only got parallel or USB, you'd need a
network-to-USB/parallel adaptor. However I'm not sure whether this would
also allow you also to drive the device as a networked scanner.

One thing to watch with a wireless network: since one of your PCs is Win 98,
you'll have to use WEP encryption rather than the more secure WPA security,
because I think that's only supported on Win XP. Or maybe it's
driver-dependent: may some manufacturers support WPA on Win 9x as well as
XP.

Old January 18th 05, 07:55 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , turbo
says...
I'd like to create a wireless network and would appreciate advise on
how to proceed, please.

Currently I use BT Broadband with a Speedtouch 330 modem. I would
like to include the following in the network.

Compaq Evo N800v - XP Pro
Dell Inspiron Pentium III 500 mhz - Win 98
hp psc 750 printer scanner

However I woud like both the laptops to be fully mobile (ie not
physically attached to the printer or modem) and be able to use either
without the other being present/switched on.

Wireless ADSL Modem Router with 4 10/100 ports such as D-Link DSL604+.
USB Printer Server.
PCMCIA WiFi adapters.

Connect the Printer Server to the router with a cable.

--
Conor

-- George Patton
Old January 18th 05, 09:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martin Underwood

"Alison" wrote in message
On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 15:58:08 -0000, "Martin Underwood"
wrote:

One thing to watch with a wireless network: since one of your PCs is Win
98,
you'll have to use WEP encryption rather than the more secure WPA
security,
because I think that's only supported on Win XP.

Not so, as long as it's WIN98SE. There's an update which you have to
download from Microsoft to make it work, but I've got WinXP and
Win98SE happily coexisting on a WPA-secured wireless network.

Thanks for that. I'm about to install a wireless network where one of the
PCs is Win 98 (not sure whether or not it's SE) and I was thinking that I'd
need to use WEP.

I've got a related question about wireless networks. Suppose you've got a
laptop which you use in two different locations (eg work and home), both of
which have wireless networks with different SSIDs and different WEP or WPA
keys. How would you set up the laptop so it will use one password when
talking to the work network and another password when talking to the home
network - preferably without any reconfiguration?