Cabling ADSL outside

Old January 18th 05, 04:01 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Paul D.Smith

Default Cabling ADSL outside

I need to extend from my master socket to the back of the house where my PCs
are. What grade of cable would the NG recommend? I've been looking at
CW1308 but the external grades seem to have minimum of 10-pairs - I only
need one!

Suggestions?
Paul DS

--
Please remove the "x-" if replying to sender.

Old January 18th 05, 09:04 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
fredbloggstwo

"Paul D.Smith" wrote in message
. net...
I need to extend from my master socket to the back of the house where my

PCs
are. What grade of cable would the NG recommend? I've been looking at
CW1308 but the external grades seem to have minimum of 10-pairs - I only
need one!

Suggestions?
Paul DS

--
Please remove the "x-" if replying to sender.

Hi Paul

Why not just put the ADSL modem near the master socket and run a single CAT5
cable to a router or switch near you pcs? Unless you're using a USB modem
that is.

cheers, Mike

Old January 19th 05, 09:04 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Paul D.Smith

Hi Paul

Why not just put the ADSL modem near the master socket and run a single

CAT5
cable to a router or switch near you pcs? Unless you're using a USB

modem
that is.

cheers, Mike

Two problems.

1. No power near the phone socket.
2. No easy way to run cable since the PCs are in an extension some 20 meters
away via the kitchen and I'm trying to avoid having cables visible all over
the house.

Much as it urks me, I'm leaning towards paying BT to move the master socket
which costs 100 but is close to the cost of all the alternatives I've found
thus far!

Cheers,
Paul DS.

Old January 19th 05, 09:31 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
lurch

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 09:04:13 -0000, "Paul D.Smith"
strung together this:

1. No power near the phone socket.
2. No easy way to run cable since the PCs are in an extension some 20 meters
away via the kitchen and I'm trying to avoid having cables visible all over
the house.

Much as it urks me, I'm leaning towards paying BT to move the master socket
which costs 100 but is close to the cost of all the alternatives I've found
thus far!

How do you think BT will get to the new position, use the same route
for a cat5e from the master socket to the new position. Just run a
cat5 round the outside.
If you give me 100 I'll run a cat5 to the master socket and fit a
faceplate filter. Job sorted.
--

SJW
Old January 19th 05, 10:17 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Paul D.Smith

"Lurch" wrote in message
[...]

And you're going to remove floorboards and ceiling, insert cables, replace
boards, ceiling, make good all plasterwork etc to leave me the same nice
"clean house interior I have now" ;-)? The issue is not the cost of the
cable, it's how to get it from point A to point B without having cable
visible all over the place. It would take too long to explain the problems
but needless to say, there are no nice conduits and places I could hide the
cable and I really don't want Cat5 going all around the kitchen (yes - I
have to traverse the entire large kitchen to get from current NET5 to where
my PCs are!). And don't suggest hiding behind the cupboards (nice idea
though) as the layout means this is not possible for at least half the
length of the run.

One alternative is to see if I can use the existing extension phone cable
and have it "pull" new Cat5 through but given the route, and the horror that
would result if it failed and had to then cable from scratch, I'm very
nervous about doing this.

If BT do it, they can replace the exterior "pole to NAT5" cable and run the
cable externally - it would be small cable and relatively unobtrusive.
However for me to run external cable myself requires I either buy external
grade cable (expensive) or conduit and cable (almost as expensive and far
more intrusive).

When push comes to shove, the "cost" of BT compared to the trouble to doing
it myself is not as great as one might imagine.

Paul DS.

Old January 19th 05, 05:43 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
lurch

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 10:17:55 -0000, "Paul D.Smith"
strung together this:

And you're going to remove floorboards and ceiling,

Er, no. I'd get a box of cat5 and a box of clips from the car and run
it round the outside. By the time the UV affects the Cat5 either a)
you'll be long gone or b) the Cat5 will have been replaced as it will
be totally outdated and no good for anything.

One alternative is to see if I can use the existing extension phone cable
and have it "pull" new Cat5 through but given the route, and the horror that
would result if it failed and had to then cable from scratch, I'm very
nervous about doing this.

Doubtful, unless it's very loose. Cat5 is quite a bit bigger than
internal CW1308.

If BT do it, they can replace the exterior "pole to NAT5" cable and run the
cable externally - it would be small cable and relatively unobtrusive.
However for me to run external cable myself requires I either buy external
grade cable (expensive) or conduit and cable (almost as expensive and far
more intrusive).

Nah, you're over engineering the job.

When push comes to shove, the "cost" of BT compared to the trouble to doing
it myself is not as great as one might imagine.

I'll still run a Cat5 round for 100!
--

SJW
Old January 20th 05, 09:03 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Paul D.Smith

Er, no. I'd get a box of cat5 and a box of clips from the car and run
it round the outside. By the time the UV affects the Cat5 either a)
you'll be long gone or b) the Cat5 will have been replaced as it will
be totally outdated and no good for anything.

Umm. That's a good point.

Cheers,
Paul DS.