what cable is best?

Old January 19th 05, 01:26 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
JJ

Default what cable is best?

Hi all.
I've given up on wirefree and am set on using cables. I've been told in 3
places I need different cables. Since the hole in the wall is too small for
premolded ones I need to use bulk cable and add the connectors myself.
Can someone tell me exactly what I need please?
PC World say I need UTP cables, Maplin say it must be FTP cable, and
modular, crossover etc has all been mentioned. I am a tad stumped now. The
cable would be around 25m.
Thanks,
James

Old January 19th 05, 05:16 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dave Stanton

What hole in the wall? What are you plugging the leads into?

I read that as he cant push a prewired ethernet cable ie with plug on,
through an existing hole in a hole, so has to use cable and crimp on plugs.

To the OP, just buy some cat5 cable, when you put the plugs on you decide
wether its to be cross over or straight. Crossover is done in the way the
plug is wired. Lots of info on the web, try google.

Dave

again
in the future!!
Old January 19th 05, 06:24 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

In article ,
"JJ" says...
Hi all.
I've given up on wirefree and am set on using cables. I've been told in 3
places I need different cables. Since the hole in the wall is too small for
premolded ones I need to use bulk cable and add the connectors myself.
Can someone tell me exactly what I need please?
PC World say I need UTP cables, Maplin say it must be FTP cable, and
modular, crossover etc has all been mentioned. I am a tad stumped now. The
cable would be around 25m.

Standard Ethernet cable these days is Cat5e or Cat6 (speed rating),
which is available in UTP or STP (unshielded or shielded twisted
pair). UTP is the normal one, STP is for high-noise environments. It
also comes in stranded or solid versions - stranded is used for
flexible patch leads with a plug on each end, while solid is used for
fixed wiring and is terminated in sockets. Sockets are often modular
in design - you can fit a selection of different sockets for network,
telephone etc. into a single box. The plugs and sockets you want for
Ethernet are called RJ45. Cable is connected to a socket using Krone
terminals which are slotted pieces of metal - the cable is pressed
into the slot with a punchdown tool, the terminal cuts through the
insulation and grips the cable. This only works with solid cable.
Cable is connected to a plug by pressing the metal contacts into the
plug body with a crimping tool, piercing the insulation and gripping
the cable - this is usually done with stranded cable, although there
are special plugs which are suitable for solid cable. There are two
ways of wiring a cable - straight-through and crossover. If you are
connecting two computers without a hub between them then you need
crossover wiring, pretty much everything else uses a straight-through
connection. Fixed wiring should always be wired straight-through -
any crossover is done in the patch cables.

Old January 19th 05, 09:34 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
lurch

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 05:16:12 +0000, Dave Stanton
strung together this:

What hole in the wall? What are you plugging the leads into?

I read that as he cant push a prewired ethernet cable ie with plug on,
through an existing hole in a hole, so has to use cable and crimp on plugs.

Ah, that makes sense.

To the OP, just buy some cat5 cable, when you put the plugs on you decide
wether its to be cross over or straight. Crossover is done in the way the
plug is wired. Lots of info on the web, try google.

Yep, standard cat5e UTP cable and a couple of plugs is all you need.
--

SJW
Old January 19th 05, 07:46 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
fredbloggstwo

"JJ" wrote in message
Hi all.
I've given up on wirefree and am set on using cables. I've been told in 3
places I need different cables. Since the hole in the wall is too small

for
premolded ones I need to use bulk cable and add the connectors myself.
Can someone tell me exactly what I need please?
PC World say I need UTP cables, Maplin say it must be FTP cable, and
modular, crossover etc has all been mentioned. I am a tad stumped now. The
cable would be around 25m.
Thanks,
James

Really you should be using CAT5 cable only for connection via punch-downs in
a wall socket. Then use flexible patch cables from the socket to your pcs
etc. If you use CAT5 cable that is crimped onto RJ45 plugs, you run the
risk of it becoming intermittent if it is flexed a lot.

Cheers, Mike

Old January 20th 05, 05:10 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dave Stanton

Yep, standard cat5e UTP cable and a couple of plugs is all you need.

I must remember to add the e !!

Dave

again
in the future!!
Old January 20th 05, 10:08 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
lurch

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 05:10:01 +0000, Dave Stanton
strung together this:

I must remember to add the e !!

I think most people use cat5 as a generic term for cat5 and cat5e.
I'll not be too pedantic over the 'e' (today!)
--

SJW