Crossover or straight cable question.

Old January 19th 05, 11:26 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
JJ

Default Crossover or straight cable question.

Thanks to all for the comments so far. I've searched all day on Google and
found nothing really to help on this problem. I've decided for myself it's
easier to just lay the cables across the kitchen floor and pick them up when
not using the PC.

A friend already has a network (2 PC's) and a third PC is now needed to be
networked.
Another trip to PC World had them disagree with Belkin.
I'm told the PC's will be connected via a crossover cable and for the three
to work I'd have to replace the cable with 'straight' (will use a Belkin
5-port switch). This is almost impossible since the cable went where there
are now fixed cupboards and down thru the roof.
PC World said I could just cut off the crossover end and re-crimp a
connector but in a straight configuration instead of crossover.
A third Shop said it would make no difference between crossover or straight
when connected to any form of hub.switch.

I'd be grateful of any comments again as this is driving me mad.
Thanks,
James

Old January 19th 05, 11:58 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
JJ

"Tx2" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
, a.k.a JJ says...

Thanks to all for the comments so far.

Well, i've no idea what "comments so far" you refer to, seeing as this
is the first post in what seems to be a new thread?

Did i miss something?

Sorry, my first post was 'what cable is best'?
JJ

Old January 19th 05, 12:26 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
deKay

Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Wed, 19 Jan
2005 11:26:39 -0000, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
uk.comp.home-networking, yawatina tan reek esk "JJ"
fornis do marikano es bono tan
el:

Another trip to PC World had them disagree with Belkin.
I'm told the PC's will be connected via a crossover cable and for the three
to work I'd have to replace the cable with 'straight' (will use a Belkin
5-port switch).

This is true, unless the switch autosenses whether or not the cable is
crossover. Also, if the switch has an uplink port, then you can plug the
crossover into that.

This is almost impossible since the cable went where there
are now fixed cupboards and down thru the roof.
PC World said I could just cut off the crossover end and re-crimp a
connector but in a straight configuration instead of crossover.

This is also true. Are you sure it was PC World that said this?

A third Shop said it would make no difference between crossover or straight
when connected to any form of hub.switch.

It depends on the switch. Some "correct" the crossover-ness of the cable.

What model is it?

deKay
--
+ Lofi Gaming - www.lofi-gaming.org.uk [Gamertag: deKay 01]
|- Gaming Diary - www.lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary/
Old January 19th 05, 02:53 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

In article ,
"JJ" says...
[...]

The switch might sense the crossover and correct it, otherwise you
can get crossover adapters (just a short patch cable with a plug on
one end and a socket on the other) - if you connect two crossovers
together it becomes straight-through again :-) Or the switch may
have a port intended for uplink to another switch which is crossed
(there may be a small switch underneath or at the rear to select this
on one of the normal ports).

Old January 19th 05, 04:25 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Michael Salem

JJ wrote:
[...]

All the above answers are correct under some circumstances!

You can network two (and no more computers) using a crossover 10BaseT
cable (Cat5 cable with RJ45 connectors).

Using older equipment you network equipment together using a hub or
switch, with straight-through cables throughout. Many hubs have a tiny
switch on one port which makes that port, only, accept a crossover cable
(though it is intended to be an uplink port, to connect hubs together
with straight-through cables).

Most modern hubs/switches autodetect whether the cable is straight-
through or crossover, so you can use either. Check the manual.

Cutting off and replacing the plug to revert to straight-through is
fine, but a pain if you're not expert.

you can buy small adaptors (from Maplin Electronics and others) which
you plug an RJ45 connector into, and it changes crossover == straight
through.

You can buy a crossover RJ45 cable female-female connector which lets
you join two cables and change crossover == straight through of the
combination.

Or you can remove your fixed cupboards, climb onto the roof, and
rewire...

HTH,
--
Michael Salem
Old January 19th 05, 04:36 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Clint Sharp

In message , JJ
writes
A friend already has a network (2 PC's) and a third PC is now needed to be
networked.

Don't ya just love it when everything changes like this.

Another trip to PC World had them disagree with Belkin.

Another would probably have them disagree with themselves.
I'm told the PC's will be connected via a crossover cable

Unless the PCs have Gigabit NICs, in which case they'll sort out the
cross-over stuff for themselves.
and for the three
to work I'd have to replace the cable with 'straight' (will use a Belkin
5-port switch).

OK, so you have a crossover cable in place already, you could continue
to use this with a switch as most modern switches are smart enough to
deal with it automatically. If your switch won't, then it will have a
port marked Uplink or MDI-X or some-such, it will usually be marked
differently from all the other ports and in many cases it will be a
'shared' port (the wiring inside the switch to the socket is 'crossed'
from another port), plug the crossover into this port and all will be
well.
This is almost impossible since the cable went where there
are now fixed cupboards and down thru the roof.

Ahh, you weren't expecting the cable to ever fail then.
PC World said I could just cut off the crossover end and re-crimp a
connector but in a straight configuration instead of crossover.

This would certainly work, just make sure you don't get confused when
you cut the end off and make another cross-over cable, you can cut and
crimp either end, but it's probably best to cut the end that doesn't
match the colours on a standard patch cable so you can use one as a
reference when you re-crimp it.
A third Shop said it would make no difference between crossover or straight
when connected to any form of hub.switch.

I'd find a new shop to get advice from. Auto crossover switches are a
fairly recent innovation at the hobbyist price level and there are still
lots out there that aren't that intelligent.

Old January 19th 05, 05:49 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
lurch

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 11:26:39 -0000, "JJ"
strung together this:

Thanks to all for the comments so far. I've searched all day on Google and
found nothing really to help on this problem. I've decided for myself it's
easier to just lay the cables across the kitchen floor and pick them up when
not using the PC.

A friend already has a network (2 PC's) and a third PC is now needed to be
networked.
Another trip to PC World had them disagree with Belkin.

Stop going to PC World then, they wouldn't know what to do with
shoelaces, never mind any form of computer cable.

I'm told the PC's will be connected via a crossover cable and for the three
to work I'd have to replace the cable with 'straight'

Possibly, depends what you're plugging it into, (not sure what Belkin
you're using but the book should tell you).. Some hubs\switches have
auto sensing ports which will automatically switch themselves
internally to send data over a straight or crossover cable.

This is almost impossible since the cable went where there
are now fixed cupboards and down thru the roof.
PC World said I could just cut off the crossover end and re-crimp a
connector but in a straight configuration instead of crossover.

Yep, you can cut any end of and recrimp in the same way *except* for
reversing pairs 1\2 and 3\6 (should be the orange and green pair if
they were connected using the TIA568B standard).

A third Shop said it would make no difference between crossover or straight
when connected to any form of hub.switch.

Possibly, see above.
--

SJW
Old January 19th 05, 06:09 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Zoidberg

JJ wrote:
Thanks to all for the comments so far. I've searched all day on
Google and found nothing really to help on this problem. I've decided
for myself it's easier to just lay the cables across the kitchen
floor and pick them up when not using the PC.

A friend already has a network (2 PC's) and a third PC is now needed
to be networked.
Another trip to PC World had them disagree with Belkin.
I'm told the PC's will be connected via a crossover cable and for the
three to work I'd have to replace the cable with 'straight' (will use
a Belkin 5-port switch).

Ok , sounds fair.

This is almost impossible since the cable
went where there are now fixed cupboards and down thru the roof.
PC World said I could just cut off the crossover end and re-crimp a
connector but in a straight configuration instead of crossover.

Thats one option.
You can also get adaptors that convert a straight to a crossover and vice
versa

A third Shop said it would make no difference between crossover or
straight when connected to any form of hub.switch.

No.
*Some* switches will auto detect if a crossover or straight cable is used
and adjust accordingly , but don't assume that they all will
Auto-MDX is the term for this IIRC

--
Alex

Hermes: "We can't afford that! Especially not Zoidberg!"
Zoidberg: "They took away my credit cards!"

www.drzoidberg.co.uk
www.sffh.co.uk
www.ebayfaq.co.uk