Strange problem

Old January 19th 05, 03:25 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Nick C

Default Strange problem

Hi there, I am experiencing quite a strange problem on my home
network.

I have a wireless modem/router (Netgear DG834GT). The internet
connection is however provided by another box (Homechoice).

The setup I have at the moment is as follows: Modem box (Homechoice)
wired to the router, with a PC connected wirelessly.

Now, everytime I reboot my pc, I loose my internet connection.

The only way around this is to go into the wireless connection
property - TCP/IP settings - enter some random settings manually.
Apply the whole thing, then again in the TCP/IP settings choose "Get
IP address automatically" and apply.

And, magically, I am connected to the Internet.

I am guessing the problem lies in the Internet Gateway. Having a built
in modem, the router wants to set itself as the gateway, whereas I
need the other modem box to be it.

Another problem I have is that the modem box isn't actually seen on
the network. Therefore I can't assign it a fixed IP address, and can't
tell my PC to use that IP address as the gateway.

Anyone got any ideas how to solve this?

Thanks!
Old January 19th 05, 04:16 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
David

"Nick C" wrote in message
[...]

Nick, hi

Not sure about your modem box but I have a couple of DG834G's and use one as
an ADSL modem/router and the other as just a wireless AP. On the one that's
only the wireless AP, I've just unclicked the "Connect Automatically, As
Required" checkbox at the top of the WAN Setup page. So if you do the same
on your DG834GT it should be fine just as a wireless AP.

I don't know anything about your modem box but when you say you can't assign
it a fixed IP address because you can't see it on the network, is there
anyway to connect to it directly (maybe via USB) just to set it up with an
appropriate fixed LAN IP address? Maybe it's just using the a different
private IP address range at the moment.

Thanks, David

Old January 19th 05, 06:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Graham

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 15:25:14 +0000, Nick C wrote:

[...]

Homechoice
Thanks!

Hi Nick,

This sort of thing happens when you have more than one DHCP server on your
network. When you boot the wireless PC it asks for an IP address and
internet gateway (default gateway) from your network. The Homechoice modem
box should respond to this request with it's DHCP server. If the DHCP
server is enabled in the Netgear DG834GT, it will also try to allocate an
IP address to the PC. The IP address should be OK but the default gateway
will be wrong, so no internet access. If they both respond together the PC
could end up with anything or nothing.

The reason why the Netgear DG834GT will always win first time is because
as it brings up the wireless link it will also manage the DHCP request as
well, it's DHCP server will be waiting for a request. When you manually
ask for a request later, it would seem that the Homechoice modem's DHCP
server responds quicker than the Netgear one.

The solution is to disable the DHCP server in the Netgear DG834GT. The
Homechoice modem can handle requests for both the wired network and the
wireless network.

Hope this helps

--

GrahamW

Old January 19th 05, 09:36 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Nick C

Thank you you both for your answers.

Turned DHCP off the modem/router, and all works fine.

Homechoice is a great service, but their hardware is a bit
complicated!

Thank you again!