Linksys Opinions?

Old January 19th 05, 08:22 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Emma Watkins

Default Linksys Opinions?

Hello
I am looking into setting up my first Home Network. I am looking at the
'Linksys Wireless G Broadband Router', downstairs on the Main PC, running
Windows XP) and a Linksys Wireless G PCI Card on the bedroom PC Running
WindowsME.
My Broadband Connection is NTL.

Has anyone got a similar set-up and if so have you had any problems ?

Paul

Old January 19th 05, 10:28 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
mikeFNB

no should all be ok.
just follow a couple of the guides on the web.

if you are going up-down with the wireless link, so to speak' it might be an
idea to lay the aerial flat. instead of vertical

mike

Old January 19th 05, 11:01 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Grouch

"Emma Watkins" wrote in message

Hello
I am looking into setting up my first Home Network. I am looking
at the 'Linksys Wireless G Broadband Router', downstairs on the
Main PC, running Windows XP) and a Linksys Wireless G PCI Card on
the bedroom PC Running WindowsME.
My Broadband Connection is NTL.

Has anyone got a similar set-up and if so have you had any
problems ?

Paul

I'd put the router upstairs for extra strenght of the signal.
It's a good choice of router. i have no problems with this setup.

here's a good forum should you encounter any problems. just make a
free basic account to register.
http://www.dslreports.com/forums/18

Old January 20th 05, 09:40 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Chris Harris

"Emma Watkins" wrote in message
Hello
I am looking into setting up my first Home Network. I am looking at the
'Linksys Wireless G Broadband Router', downstairs on the Main PC, running
Windows XP) and a Linksys Wireless G PCI Card on the bedroom PC Running
WindowsME.
My Broadband Connection is NTL.

Has anyone got a similar set-up and if so have you had any problems ?

I have a WAG45G talking to 2 PCs, one running XP and the other ME. I
tried two Linksys PCI cards and one Linksys USB adaptor in the computer
with ME (a four year old P3) and none worked. Linksys's own WLAN monitor
software could never see the card/adaptor. Even a BIOS upgrade and a
complete reinstall of the OS didn't help. A replacement Belkin PCI
card worked straight out of the box. I had no problems with the same
model Linksys PCI card on the XP machine.

The router is downstairs and both my machines are upstairs. Data rates
direct to the router are good - I get a reported 48 - 54 Mbps. But...

Only managed to get video to work on MSN messenger by enabling UPnP,
and the router is noticably less stable since doing so. Changing port
forwarding settings often requires a hard reset of the router, which is
a pain.

Although I can ping the XP machine from the ME machine, Windows file
sharing will only work in the opposite direction. Using Explorer I
get an "unable to browse the network" message on the ME machine. This
occurs whether I use DHCP for internal IP addresses or assign static IPs.

Internal IPs are in the trusted zones of the firewall software I'm
running and yes, both computers are in the same workgroup - I've tried
assigning this manually and by using the Windows XP netsetup disk. It
doesn't seem to make a difference and I'm still trying to track down
the cause of this problem. If anyone has fixed this problem I'd love
to know how you did it. A mate of mine who had the same thing happening
only solved it by taking the WAG54G back to the shop and buying a router
made by a different company. I'm not at that point yet, but I'm getting
close.

Oh, and you might want to Google for people's experiences of Linksys
tech support, too. Mine have not been good.

best,
Chris (speaking for myself, and nobody else)