little problem

Old January 21st 05, 08:33 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Christo

Default little problem

ok i have a new laptop

i decided i would share my F: drive on my PC over a peer to peer network

so i slap in the cross over cable

get the IP addresses set up as

PC ; 192.168.0.1
Laptop; 192.168.0.2

ping works fine so thats good

I then proceed to right click on my F: drive and choose the sharing tab, i
click through the warnings

and then choose share this folder as

Files F:\

and allow users to edit files

so... where will this drive appear on my laptop?

it doesnt appear in My Computer\Shared Documents

and doesnt appear in my computer

so where will it show up on the laptop when i share it on the PC

i never had this trouble in windows 2000 i shared a folder on the desktop it
appeared on the desktop.. so can anyone offer any advice

one other thing

i shared my BT broadband connection on the PC so i could connect from other
network locations

it appeared in my network places properties on the laptop

and when on the laptop and i open the connection it connects on the pc....
now when i open internet explorer on the laptop where i connected from, it
says page cannot be displayed

i am using an USB adsl modem not a router

and have had a prompt to say dont input the IP address on the other
computers you are connecting from, so i took out the IP on the laptop

re set everything up and now the IP on the laptop gets assigned
automatically as

192.168.0.24

it still doesnt allow me to view pages on the laptop... or view the shared
F: drive

do i need a router/switch?

dont tell me you would advise me to get one, my question is do i need one or
can i share the connection how i am saying with a usb modem

over apeer to peer link

i am using cross over cable am using win xp home sp2, windows firewall is
off

i use zone alarm 4.5 have told it to trust the network on the laptop and on
the pc

so, if anyone could offer any advice i would be grateful

thanks (in advance)

chris

Old January 21st 05, 06:33 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
lurch

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 16:34:06 -0000, "Christo"
strung together this:

dont pose
you can vomment on the internet connection sharing?

Windows ICS is crap. Use something along the lines of AnalogX,
(http://www.analogx.com from memory)
--

SJW
Old January 21st 05, 10:18 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Christo

"Lurch" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 16:34:06 -0000, "Christo"
strung together this:

dont pose
you can vomment on the internet connection sharing?

Windows ICS is crap. Use something along the lines of AnalogX,
(http://www.analogx.com from memory)
--

SJW

turns out it was ZA afterall, had to set it as ics/nat gateway on the pc
where net connection was coming from

thanks for the advice though on analogx, found some nifty tools there...
packetmon, nice

Old January 22nd 05, 07:38 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dave Stanton

i dont suppose you can give any pointers about the web connection?

If your on broadband, then I would buy a modem/router with 4 ports (or a
cable router, if cable)and forget ICS etc. Saves a lot of hassle, I know
people will now come on and say ICS is the best thing since sliced bread,
but just check back on previous posts about ICS.
HTH

Dave

again
in the future!!
Old January 22nd 05, 02:27 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dave J

In within
uk.comp.home-networking, 'Lurch' wrote:

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 16:34:06 -0000, "Christo"
strung together this:

dont pose
you can vomment on the internet connection sharing?

Windows ICS is crap. Use something along the lines of AnalogX,
(http://www.analogx.com from memory)

Unfortunately the analogx thing a rather limited proxy instead of a proper
translation util, though I suppose it being free partly makes up for that.

My recomendation is the util I settled on for a friend, called Comtun, by
a firm called linkbyte ( www.linkbyte.com ) - it's real NAT gateway
program like the Nat32 thing I mentioned before, but without any of the
bugs..

Best I can say is that Comtun has done a good enough job of invisibly
NATing his network to the internet that he has just paid for it even
though there were still three weeks to go on the demo.. $25 IIRC

Personally I'd recomend a router/modem combination, but if you want to use
a PC as the gateway then this is a nice tool to use and *very* easy to set
up, no messing about with a proxy server, works on all ports rather than
just a limited subset, just set the gateways on your client machines to
the live machine and you'll find it hard to tell each system doesn't have
its own connection. Built in firewall too. Proxy server stuff is such a
pain in the neck.

--
Dave Johnson -