remote hard disk

Old January 21st 05, 11:15 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
lugaburuga

Default remote hard disk

Hi all

I am hoping some of you will be able to answer a question for me. I have a
11g wireless network at home with a wireless router. If I buy another 11g
wireless access point which has a USB socket, is it possible to connect a
external hard drive with a USB connection to it so that the computers on the
network are able to save and retrieve information on the hard drive?

Any help with this would be much appreciated. thanks

nigel

Old January 21st 05, 11:33 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
mikeFNB

no
it will need a pc to manage it.

mike

. uk...

Old January 22nd 05, 01:34 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

"lugaburuga" wrote in message
. uk...
I am hoping some of you will be able to answer a question for me. I have
a 11g wireless network at home with a wireless router. If I buy another
11g wireless access point which has a USB socket, is it possible to
connect a external hard drive with a USB connection to it so that the
computers on the network are able to save and retrieve information on the
hard drive?

No, but you can use something like Ebuyer Quickfind 60265.

Performance will suck over wireless; it's tolerable for most things using
100Mbit wired Ethernet, but for close-to-local-drive performance your best
bet is a PC with the drive(s) in and a gigabit Ethernet network. OTOH if all
you want to do is stream music/video off it, ultra-high speed is not
important.

Alex

Old January 23rd 05, 12:15 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Clint Sharp

In message , lugaburuga
writes
Hi all

I am hoping some of you will be able to answer a question for me. I have a
11g wireless network at home with a wireless router. If I buy another 11g
wireless access point which has a USB socket, is it possible to connect a
external hard drive with a USB connection to it so that the computers on the
network are able to save and retrieve information on the hard drive?

Any help with this would be much appreciated. thanks

nigel

Http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/entry/420/asus_wl-hdd_2

Have seen one that a friend brought back from Hong Kong, not sure if
available in the UK yet but if it fits it might be worth looking for.
--
Clint Sharp