Trouble with new Draytek Vigor 2500 ADSL modem/router

Old January 22nd 05, 01:01 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Default Trouble with new Draytek Vigor 2500 ADSL modem/router

Hi all - can anyone help?

I got a Draytek Vigor 2600WE Wireless ADSL modem/router back in Nov 2003
and it has been superb.

On that basis I just purchased yesterday a 2500 for use
at a friends house.
It arrived this morning and so I thought I would check it out here first.

The LAN part works fine.

Setting up the ADSL/WAN part has been a problem. Using both my ISP
(Plusnet)and the BT test domain at [email protected]_domain the unit tries
to "authenticate" then goes into "training" and SOMETIMES connects to
the ADSL (BT showtime) part OK showing line speeds up/down OK.
However it won't get an IP automatically from either source and using
"Dial PPoA" button causes system to drop out.

When it is connected briefly, the diagnostics worryingly say s/n -1dB
and loop attenuation approx 39dB whereas the 2600 shows s/n 33dB and
Attn 40dB.
I know my line is quite long and at times is a bit audio noisy but the
2600 spectrum analysis is OK and the 2600 copes very well.

I called Broadband Buyer (where it came from)and the very helpful guy on
the phone did say that the 2600 was a particularly good modem and maybe
the 2500 is not so good.

He suggested I e-mail to their support desk to see if they had any ideas.

This is the reply I got back:-

The support desk had spoken to draytek regarding this issue, and they
had stated that the following solution below should resolve your issue.

Can you please try the following:

Step 1: Telnet onto the router via command prompt or hyper terminal

Step 2: Type the following:

adsl optn 3 0 (then press return)

adsl optn 5 0 (then press return)

adsl optn 6 0 (then press return)

adsl savecfg (then press return)

adsl reboot (then press return)

Once this is done, you should notice that you can gain a stable connection
to the ADSL line.

This was my result and what I wrote back to them:-

Just tried that(using telnet to port 23) and all seemed OK. All telnet
commands got expected reply.

First of all did it without ADSL connected and not worked so, in case
that was wrong, tried again with ADSL connected.

Re-booted via telnet as told and also re-set via power on/off.

Still no success. If anything, slightly worseand never found data at all

It may be that my friends line is better but it doesn't get enabled until
next Monday and I don't want to disappoint him.

Any suggestions?

Old January 22nd 05, 01:28 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Michael Salem

If you have two identical routers, and are having trouble with one, try
saving the configuration of the good one to a file, and restoring that
file to the other one. If it now behaves properly, you had a
configuration problem. If not, you have a faulty router.

(I assume you can save and restore the router configuration --- you
certainly can with all the Vigors I have used).

HTH,
--
Michael Salem
Old January 22nd 05, 11:41 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

"m" wrote in message
[...]

Have you got VC based multiplexing checked? VPI:0, VCI: 38

Old January 22nd 05, 01:00 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , m says...

It may be that my friends line is better but it doesn't get enabled until
next Monday and I don't want to disappoint him.

Never ever get a job in IT.

What the hell did you even bother trying to set it up for if the bloody
ADSL hasn't been turned on for? Christ, its like expecting to be able
to install Windows on the computer because you've got all the bits
apart from the Hard Drive which arrives on Tuesday.

--
Conor

-- George Patton
Old January 22nd 05, 01:01 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , says...

It may be that my friends line is better but it doesn't get enabled until
next Monday and I don't want to disappoint him.

Any suggestions?

Have you got VC based multiplexing checked? VPI:0, VCI: 38

Has he even got the ADSL turned on? Would appear not.

--
Conor

-- George Patton
Old January 23rd 05, 01:05 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Clint Sharp

In message , Conor
writes
In article , m says...

It may be that my friends line is better but it doesn't get enabled until
next Monday and I don't want to disappoint him.

Never ever get a job in IT.

What the hell did you even bother trying to set it up for if the bloody
ADSL hasn't been turned on for? Christ, its like expecting to be able
to install Windows on the computer because you've got all the bits
apart from the Hard Drive which arrives on Tuesday.

Mmmm, nice Conor. Never ever get a job in any industry where you are
expected to listen to what someone says. It's like trying to fix a
faulty server when you're only fit to be a sweaty arsed truck driver.

From the small extract above I surmise that the OP is trying it out on
his enabled line.

The line that really gives it away is the one earlier in the post where
he says, and I quote;