wireless modem/router queries

Old January 23rd 05, 03:01 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Christo

Default wireless modem/router queries

in a previous ost i was making points about a wired network, and someone
advised me on using a modem/router (adsl) instead of ICS to share my
connection.

I have since moved my network to wireless ad-hoc, pc-laptop

the disadvantage of this is that if i wanted to access the internet from the
laptop i would need the PC turned on

with a router/modem i wouldnt need to do this.. I just have a few queries

I assume i use my pc as a console (through ethernet?) to setup the router
etc and the modem settings... PPPoE or PPPoA that sort of stuff and VPI 0,38
etc

but the router doesnt need to be plugged into the PC's ethernet port once i
have it configured does it? just into the phone line?

also on my nodes (PC + Laptop)

could i set the IP's as class C IP addresses (192.168.0.x) even though the
IP address on the router is Class A?

also about firewalls, will i need to configure ZoneAlarm at all?

oh also the default gateway on my clients (PC+Laptop) should be set as the
LAN IP address of the router/mode/access point?

and i assume file sharing and printer sharing and everything are done much
in the same way

can anyone either point me to a beginners guide to a wireless network setup
(not ad-hoc) or give me some pointers of their own on what i should and
shouldn't do?

since most routers/modems claim to be firewalls is there any need for a
software firewall such as ZoneAlarm?

i have been looking at routers with NAT and SPI i roughly know nat isnt
really a firewall just network address translation and just hides your IP
address or something, i dont know the mechanics of it

what is SPI, is it a true firewall which eliminates the need for ZoneAlarm
or any software based firewals?)

I would much appreciate some help on this.

Thanks (in advance)

Chris

Old January 23rd 05, 03:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff Gaines

On 23/01/2005 Christo wrote:

Chris

I have just set up something similar with a Linksys WAG54G, I had BB
installed last Thursday, I have put my comments in-line:

I assume i use my pc as a console (through ethernet?) to setup the
router etc and the modem settings... PPPoE or PPPoA that sort of
stuff and VPI 0,38 etc
but the router doesnt need to be plugged into the PC's ethernet port
once i have it configured does it? just into the phone line?

It is much better to have a PC wired to the router to set it up, if you
do it via a wireless connection you'll tear your hair out :-) Once it's
set up you can take the cable out and revert to wireless.

also on my nodes (PC + Laptop)

could i set the IP's as class C IP addresses (192.168.0.x) even
though the IP address on the router is Class A?

I used my router's in built DHCP. All the PC's are in the 192.168.x.y
range, the router picks up my (fixed) IP address when it connects to
demon. I don't understand quite how it manages it but it works :-)

also about firewalls, will i need to configure ZoneAlarm at all?

The Linksys has a built in firewall (NAT translation). I left Norton PF
installed but since re-booting the PC's nothing has got through to
Norton. It's still useful though to block outgoing connections should
you pick up some malware.

oh also the default gateway on my clients (PC+Laptop) should be set
as the LAN IP address of the router/mode/access point?

Yes, mine is 192.168.1.1 - although I didn't specify this, the PC's
'know' they go the router to get an IP address so they 'know' to use it
as the gateway.

and i assume file sharing and printer sharing and everything are done
much in the same way

Yes, internally the network behaves in the same way it always did.

can anyone either point me to a beginners guide to a wireless network
setup (not ad-hoc) or give me some pointers of their own on what i
should and shouldn't do?

uk.telecom.broadband is a very useful Newsgroup. I already had my
Linksys working as a switch. Once BT had been (they had to visit since
I was converting from ISDN) I connected the cable from the master
socket to the Linksys, set the Linksys up with the information Demon
provided and it 'just worked'.

since most routers/modems claim to be firewalls is there any need for
a software firewall such as ZoneAlarm?

See note above.

i have been looking at routers with NAT and SPI i roughly know nat
isnt really a firewall just network address translation and just
hides your IP address or something, i dont know the mechanics of it

what is SPI, is it a true firewall which eliminates the need for
ZoneAlarm or any software based firewals?)

Sorry, can't answer that one, if you don't get a reply here you will
certainly get one (or more) in uk.telecom.broadband.

HTH.

--
Jeff Gaines
Posted with XanaNews 1.17.1.2
Old January 23rd 05, 04:33 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 15:01:55 -0000, "Christo"
wrote:

I assume i use my pc as a console (through ethernet?) to setup the router
etc and the modem settings... PPPoE or PPPoA that sort of stuff and VPI 0,38
but the router doesnt need to be plugged into the PC's ethernet port once i
have it configured does it? just into the phone line?

correct, wired is good for setup. firmware upgrades etc. after that
can be 100% wireless.

also on my nodes (PC + Laptop)
could i set the IP's as class C IP addresses (192.168.0.x) even though the
IP address on the router is Class A?

you need to, unless you have a set of external IP addresses to
allocate to each box. DHCP fromt he router can allocate them for you
in any case.

also about firewalls, will i need to configure ZoneAlarm at all?

not if you are going to rely on the router's firewall, which is
adequate.

oh also the default gateway on my clients (PC+Laptop) should be set as the
LAN IP address of the router/mode/access point?

yes, the DHCP would do that or you put it in manually

and i assume file sharing and printer sharing and everything are done much
in the same way

ys but watch out for firewalls getting in the way

can anyone either point me to a beginners guide to a wireless network setup
(not ad-hoc) or give me some pointers of their own on what i should and
shouldn't do?

stop worrying its dead simple in practice
http://www.wown.com/articles_tutoria...ss_Networking/

since most routers/modems claim to be firewalls is there any need for a
software firewall such as ZoneAlarm?

need - no. Desirability - in the eyes of some.

i have been looking at routers with NAT and SPI i roughly know nat isnt
really a firewall just network address translation and just hides your IP
address or something, i dont know the mechanics of it
what is SPI, is it a true firewall which eliminates the need for ZoneAlarm
or any software based firewals?)

Stateful Packet Inspection - a proper firewall that analyses the
traffic, NAT hides the PCs from the outside which is at least 90%
effective. Unless you feel you need military grade security don't
bother with a software firewall as well.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old January 23rd 05, 09:28 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Michael Salem

Christo wrote:

since most routers/modems claim to be firewalls is there any need for a
software firewall such as ZoneAlarm?

i have been looking at routers with NAT and SPI i roughly know nat isnt
really a firewall just network address translation and just hides your IP
address or something, i dont know the mechanics of it

what is SPI, is it a true firewall which eliminates the need for ZoneAlarm
or any software based firewals?)

Different routers offer different levels of firewall support. If you are
not running any services which require you to allow access to your
network from the Internet (e.g., your own Web site on your own machine,
etc.), NAT protection is all you need to protect against INCOMING
attacks. It's a bit like living in a hotel: a thief can't do much if you
give him the hotel address (your Internet IP address), but reception
doesn't give him your room number (your internal 192.168.x.y NAT
address).

However, to protect yourself against Trojan programs which install
themselves on your computer and call OUT you must set up your firewall
carefully. You can get Trojans via email, via Web sites, and by running
infected programs. Use of Pegasus or Thunderbird email instead of
Outlook Express, Mozilla Firefox instead of Internet Explorer is safer.
Linux instead of Windows too.

HTH,
--
Michael Salem

Old January 24th 05, 02:06 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Christo

"Christo" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks everybody

jut confirmed some of my doubts and provided me with ome extra info. Looking
forward to getting this all wireless network rigged up, no more whinging
from my 16 year old brother (chris i need the PC) i can just log onto the
net from the laptop, lovely :-)