Basic gigabit ethernet question

Old January 24th 05, 11:03 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Drew M

Default Basic gigabit ethernet question

Forgive the basic nature of this question

I've got a network running at 100Mbps. A couple of computers do some
heavy shifting of files back and forth between themselves and a server.
My thought is that these two machines and the server would be better
with gigabit NICs and on a gigabit switch.

So my question:- Say I get a small 100/1000 switch, connect the three
gigabit machines to it and uplink it to the 100Mbps switch. Will this
have the desired affect of enabling the gigabit machines to talk
gigabit, and also to connect the rest of the network at 100Mbps?

Or does the whole switch run at the speed of the slowest connection?

(See, I said it was basic)

thanks

drew.
Old January 24th 05, 11:12 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
lurch

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 23:03:34 +0000, Drew M
strung together this:

Forgive the basic nature of this question

Fine.

I've got a network running at 100Mbps. A couple of computers do some
heavy shifting of files back and forth between themselves and a server.
My thought is that these two machines and the server would be better
with gigabit NICs and on a gigabit switch.

OK.

So my question:- Say I get a small 100/1000 switch, connect the three
gigabit machines to it and uplink it to the 100Mbps switch. Will this
have the desired affect of enabling the gigabit machines to talk
gigabit, and also to connect the rest of the network at 100Mbps?

Yes.

Or does the whole switch run at the speed of the slowest connection?

No.

(See, I said it was basic)

Yes!

thanks

OK.
--

SJW
Old January 24th 05, 11:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Drew M

Lurch wrote:
On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 23:03:34 +0000, Drew M
strung together this:

So my question:- Say I get a small 100/1000 switch, connect the three
gigabit machines to it and uplink it to the 100Mbps switch. Will this
have the desired affect of enabling the gigabit machines to talk
gigabit, and also to connect the rest of the network at 100Mbps?

Yes.

Thanks Lurch. Much appreciated

drew.
Old January 26th 05, 01:27 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
lurch

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 19:08:10 GMT, Gavin strung
together this:

It's probaly worth pointing out it MUST be a SWITCH.

If you use a HUB it will drop to the lowest speed, a switch will allow
different segments at different speeds.

I didn't realise you could get Gigabit hubs. I've only ever worked
with, and seen, switches. YLSNED
--

SJW