Got a load of hardware

Old January 26th 05, 02:07 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales

Default Got a load of hardware

Hi

I have the following

Cisco 2600

TOKEN RING 8 PORT HUBS (LYNX) X5

PEARL DIALOUTS X2 (833'S)

TYPE 1 TOKEN RING 8 PORT HUB

TOKEN RING IBM 2210 ROUTER

TYPE 1 TOKEN RING DOUBLERS X3

VARIOUS WIRES TYPE 1 AND POWER SUPPLIES

TOKEN RING CARDS BOXFULL

BT KILOSTREAM ROUTER X2

All came with piles of cables but no disks or books, i went out a bought a
cisco book, but having dyslexia means im struggling with it.

Can anyone offer some links, advice, or if anyone is around Sheffield pop
along and show me whats what.

Im thinkinng of setting it up at a local comminity centre or at least
putting some use to the gear. If not i need to put items that relate to each
other, cables etc.

For your time and you pop along, i do herp edu for kids at museums and
schools etc so would happily give back some time teaching your kids about
reptiles etc or pop over to you and give a little talk with hands on (safe
animals) to kids etc. (i have done the odd BD party, eq of a kids
magican/clown/disco etc and goes down well)

Old January 26th 05, 08:45 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
deKay

Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Wed, 26 Jan
2005 02:07:26 GMT, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
uk.comp.home-networking, yawatina tan reek esk "Julian 'Penny for the guy'
Hales" fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

Hi

I have the following

Colin and Justin been on your back again, eh?

deKay
--
+ Lofi Gaming - www.lofi-gaming.org.uk
|- ugvm Magazine - www.ugvm.org.uk
Old January 26th 05, 10:45 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Paul D.Smith

I'd put it into a big box and take it to the skip. Token ring is pretty
much obsolete and with the price of network cards and cables for Ethernet
pretty much rock bottom, the time taken to figure this all out just isn't
worth it.

Some hints though...

1. Install the cards.
2. Connect each card via a cable to the MAU.

Now you should be able to do whatever you would with Ethernet.

As to connecting to the outside world though, good luck! Sooner or later
you have to convert to Ethernet which is what all the cable/ADSL boxes use.
Perhaps your Cisco router does this.

Sorry to be so dispiriting but I've used Token Ring and considered using
some old stuff for home but when I saw the price of Ethernet, decided it
just wasn['t worth the aggro!

Paul DS.

Old January 26th 05, 06:37 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

"deKay" wrote in message
Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Wed, 26

Jan
2005 02:07:26 GMT, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
uk.comp.home-networking, yawatina tan reek esk "Julian 'Penny for the guy'
Hales" fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

Hi

I have the following

Colin and Justin been on your back again, eh?

LOL

My house is even worse, much worse, although decorated green with mirrors

deKay

Old January 26th 05, 06:40 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales

"Paul D.Smith" wrote in message
. net...
I'd put it into a big box and take it to the skip. Token ring is pretty
much obsolete and with the price of network cards and cables for Ethernet
pretty much rock bottom, the time taken to figure this all out just isn't
worth it.

Some hints though...

1. Install the cards.
2. Connect each card via a cable to the MAU.

Now you should be able to do whatever you would with Ethernet.

As to connecting to the outside world though, good luck! Sooner or later
you have to convert to Ethernet which is what all the cable/ADSL boxes

use.
Perhaps your Cisco router does this.

Sorry to be so dispiriting but I've used Token Ring and considered using
some old stuff for home but when I saw the price of Ethernet, decided it
just wasn['t worth the aggro!

Paul DS.

I have a ethernet lan myself, but try saying putting the whole lot in a skip
when on ebay today a (ok new) cisco 2600 went for 600...........even 2nd
hand half that by themselves, with what i have all the lots there, cables
etc, abiet no cd disks.

I like to learn things, so at least i have a rough idea how it works and
what it does. Im no expert or never will be, but a little knowladge is
great.

Old January 27th 05, 01:54 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Paul D.Smith

I have a ethernet lan myself, but try saying putting the whole lot in a skip
when on ebay today a (ok new) cisco 2600 went for 600...........even 2nd
hand half that by themselves, with what i have all the lots there, cables
etc, abiet no cd disks.

I think you just answered your own question. Put it on eBay and buy an
Ethernet LAN with the proceeds. Any Ethernet skills you learn will be far
more useful than Token-Ring, unless you work in the industry and intend
supporting IMB SNA type products!

Paul DS.

Old January 27th 05, 02:31 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales

"Paul D.Smith" wrote in message
. net...
I have a ethernet lan myself, but try saying putting the whole lot in a

skip
when on ebay today a (ok new) cisco 2600 went for 600...........even

2nd
hand half that by themselves, with what i have all the lots there,

cables
etc, abiet no cd disks.

I think you just answered your own question. Put it on eBay and buy an
Ethernet LAN with the proceeds. Any Ethernet skills you learn will be far
more useful than Token-Ring, unless you work in the industry and intend
supporting IMB SNA type products!

Paul DS.

I have a large ethernet lan, not much more i can learn, although bits do
crop up so i need to ask here.

I jsut fancied learning some new stuff, i still even use my 80's speccys
quite often, i wrote good software back then and still get a buzz

Old January 28th 05, 12:42 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dave J

In within
uk.comp.home-networking, 'Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales' wrote:

I have a large ethernet lan, not much more i can learn, although bits do
crop up so i need to ask here.

I'd go along with Lurch there, there's _always_ more to learn..

How large a Lan? Hubs + router/switch combos? Any pure switches? Played
with vlans? Access lists? If a really large network then any experience
with trunking? Authentication/encryption? SNMP?

I jsut fancied learning some new stuff, i still even use my 80's speccys
quite often, i wrote good software back then and still get a buzz

Hmm, OT I know but gi'us an old time buzz and chuck out some clues as to
what sort of stuff you were into? My first ever assembler was for Z80,
courtesy of the ZX toys..

What's the difficulty with trying out the token ring tat? If you know your
way around ethernet and understand general principles behind the token
idea then I'm surprised you haven't gone for a 'string it up and see'
session..

--
Dave Johnson -