LAN between two buildings

Old January 26th 05, 12:56 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.homebuilt
Chris Laird

Default LAN between two buildings

A local business wants to extends an existing network from one Portakabin
to another about 100 yards away.

I briefly considered just running a long length of CAT5 between the two
Portakabins but discounted this because of worries about damp getting into
the cable or what a lightning strike might do the equipment or anyone
unlucky enough to be next to it at the time.

I also thought about fibre but I don't know much about it and the cost
would probably be too high.

So I think that leaves me with two possible solutions:

1. power line networking (but I'm not really sure if this would work
between buildings)

2. wireless networking

Without much experience of wi-fi kit, can anyone tell me if I had a 54g
access point in each Portakabin would they see a strong enough signal to
talk to each other over 100 yards of relatively open ground?
Old January 26th 05, 10:04 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.homebuilt
Dorothy Bradbury

Cisco wireless tends to have very good range,
however better antenna will be a consideration too.
--
Dorothy Bradbury

Old January 27th 05, 09:49 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.homebuilt
stephen

"Dorothy Bradbury" wrote in message
Cisco wireless tends to have very good range,
however better antenna will be a consideration too.

cisco make a packaged wireless bridge designed for outdoor mounting.

aironet 1300 http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5861/index.html

--
Dorothy Bradbury

--