Possible numpty question

Old January 26th 05, 01:14 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tim \(Remove NOSPAM.

Default Possible numpty question

I am shortly to get BB here, and keen to prepare the ground as much as
possible before it actually happens..

Currently we have a BT master socket located in the hall way, off which is
daisy chained 6 secondary phone sockets around the house, one of which in
the office I use for Dial-up.

When BB comes along is there any advatage in placing the router close to the
Master socket plugged direcly into it and using Cat5 from here to PC's or
does it not matter??

Many thanks in advance!

Tim..

Old January 26th 05, 02:44 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

" Tim (Remove NOSPAM." wrote in message
I am shortly to get BB here, and keen to prepare the ground as much as
possible before it actually happens..

By "BB" I assume you mean ADSL.

Currently we have a BT master socket located in the hall way, off which
is daisy chained 6 secondary phone sockets around the house, one of which
in the office I use for Dial-up.

Ever heard of REN?

How are the extensions wired? Into the socket? Or a thing with a plug, one
or more sockets, and a trailing wire (that goes to the next box)?

When BB comes along is there any advatage in placing the router close to
the Master socket plugged direcly into it and using Cat5 from here to
PC's or does it not matter??

Every connection in the wire from the master socket to the router has the
potential to cause problems, though it shouldn't normally be an issue.

However, locating the router by the master socket might be of benefit in
terms of the number of microfilters needed. And there may be even better
solutions, depending on the extension wiring... eg using one microfilter and
an extension cable to put the router near the PCs.

Alex

Old January 26th 05, 02:53 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Paul D.Smith

" Tim (Remove NOSPAM." wrote in message
I am shortly to get BB here, and keen to prepare the ground as much as
possible before it actually happens..

Currently we have a BT master socket located in the hall way, off which is
daisy chained 6 secondary phone sockets around the house, one of which in
the office I use for Dial-up.

When BB comes along is there any advatage in placing the router close to

the
Master socket plugged direcly into it and using Cat5 from here to PC's or
does it not matter??

Many thanks in advance!

Tim..

Tim, apparently the main answer is "what sort of cable is used for the
extensions"? You have lots of options...

1. Filtered master socket with router there.

All the extensions are the "phone only".
Run cat5e to your computers (or to a switch connected to your computers).
Single filter on the master socket. See http://www.clarity.it for examples
of master socket filters.

2. Filtered master socket with extended ADSL.

All the extensions are "phone only".
An extra twisted pair cable (I believe this coult be cat5), carrying the
ADSL signal to where your modem is.
See http://www.clarity.it for these adapters.
Again, single filter.

3. Filter every socket and put the modem on whichever one you want.

Fine, providing your extension cable isn't crap and ruins the ADSL signal.
Suck-it-and-see.
Lots of filters involved.

4. For 100, BT will move the master socket so it is by the PCs, allowing
you to filter and not have to run extra cables from the master socket -
because it's right by your modem and PCs.
Single filter but 100? 305m of Cat5e is only 30.00!

Lots of options - I'm still deciding, having a similar problem myself.

BTW, I've not connection to Clarity and can't vouch for their products -
yet.

Enjoy,
Paul DS.

Old January 26th 05, 02:56 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 13:14:05 +0000 (UTC), " Tim \(Remove NOSPAM."
wrote:

When BB comes along is there any advatage in placing the router close to the
Master socket plugged direcly into it and using Cat5 from here to PC's or
does it not matter??

see microfilter question. There is a risk of all that wiring picking
up interference so yes there can be an advantage of filtering "at
source2 and either having the router there or running an unfiltered
twisted pair extension to the ADSL modem/router.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old January 26th 05, 05:33 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tim \(Remove NOSPAM.

"Alex Fraser" wrote in message
" Tim (Remove NOSPAM." wrote in message
I am shortly to get BB here, and keen to prepare the ground as much as
possible before it actually happens..

By "BB" I assume you mean ADSL.

Currently we have a BT master socket located in the hall way, off which
is daisy chained 6 secondary phone sockets around the house, one of

which
in the office I use for Dial-up.

Ever heard of REN?

Yews thanks! The limit is supposed to be 4, but I have had our line
"enhanced" whatever that means and it will comfortably ring the ringers on
all 6 phones and the fax no problems. Modern DECT phones dont actually have
a REN of 1 even though thats what is published on them.

How are the extensions wired? Into the socket? Or a thing with a plug, one
or more sockets, and a trailing wire (that goes to the next box)?

The extensions are all wired via a single cable IDC'd into the master socket
and from there to a multi way IDC juntion box from which each extension
socket has its own feed.

When ADSL comes along is there any advatage in placing the router close

the Master socket plugged direcly into it and using Cat5 from here to
PC's or does it not matter??

Every connection in the wire from the master socket to the router has the
potential to cause problems, though it shouldn't normally be an issue.

Badly worded- what i actually meant was am I likely to get a "better" ADSL
connection with the modem closer to the incoming line.

However, locating the router by the master socket might be of benefit in
terms of the number of microfilters needed. And there may be even better
solutions, depending on the extension wiring... eg using one microfilter

and
an extension cable to put the router near the PCs.

I think I shall probably microfilter at the source so all extensions are
ready filtered, it'll save re-cabling and messing about, but will place the
modem (Netgear 834GT- will serve ground floor ) near the master socket and
cat5 to my switch and secondary accesspoint (which serves the 1st and 2nd
floors)

If this makes sence!

Many thanks for those who replied.

Tim..

Old January 26th 05, 06:02 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

" Tim (Remove NOSPAM." wrote in message
"Alex Fraser" wrote in message
" Tim (Remove NOSPAM." wrote in message
I am shortly to get BB here, and keen to prepare the ground as much
as possible before it actually happens..

By "BB" I assume you mean ADSL.

Currently we have a BT master socket located in the hall way, off
which is daisy chained 6 secondary phone sockets around the house,
one of which in the office I use for Dial-up.

Ever heard of REN?

Yews thanks! The limit is supposed to be 4, but I have had our line
"enhanced" whatever that means and it will comfortably ring the ringers
on all 6 phones and the fax no problems.

Ah, didn't know BT could do that. It might be worth checking that is still
the case after the ADSL is activated.

Every connection in the wire from the master socket to the router has
the potential to cause problems, though it shouldn't normally be an
issue.

Badly worded- what i actually meant was am I likely to get a "better"
ADSL connection with the modem closer to the incoming line.

Cable length is extremely unlikely to be a problem, if that's what you mean.
After all, any cable in your house is probably a tiny fraction of the total
length to the exchange.

I think I shall probably microfilter at the source so all extensions are
ready filtered, it'll save re-cabling and messing about, but will place
the modem (Netgear 834GT- will serve ground floor ) near the master
socket and cat5 to my switch and secondary accesspoint (which serves the
1st and 2nd floors)

Probably just what I'd do in your situation; primary objective: avoid
spending lots of cash on microfilters, secondary objective: minimise
additional cabling.

Alex

Old January 26th 05, 07:38 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
lurch

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 18:02:35 -0000, "Alex Fraser"
strung together this:

Ah, didn't know BT could do that. It might be worth checking that is still
the case after the ADSL is activated.

Probably won't matter anyway, most modern phones are closer to REN=0.1
but it isn't recognised as an actual measurement of REN, so 1 is used.

I think I shall probably microfilter at the source so all extensions are
ready filtered, it'll save re-cabling and messing about, but will place
the modem (Netgear 834GT- will serve ground floor ) near the master
socket and cat5 to my switch and secondary accesspoint (which serves the
1st and 2nd floors)

Probably just what I'd do in your situation; primary objective: avoid
spending lots of cash on microfilters, secondary objective: minimise
additional cabling.

Or, Do what I did and stick a Cat5e link from the filtered faceplate
to the ADSL modem.
--

SJW