Networking two Macs. Simple?

Old January 26th 05, 11:25 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Spamfree!

Default Networking two Macs. Simple?

Hi all.

I'm using an ethernet cable to network these two Macs:
a PowerMac running OS 8.5;
a G4 running OS X.

On the PowerMac:
I've turned on file sharing;
in Appletalk selected 'Ethernet'.
In the Chooser I can 'see' the G4. However, when I try to select the G4 as a
file server I'm told that "The connection to this server has been
unexpectedly broken" (or different, but similar, message).

On the G4:
Although I've made endless selections (in 'Network' I'm selecting 'Built-in
Ethernet'; in 'Sharing' I've got 'Personal File Sharing' turned on; in
'Ownership and Permissions' I've given 'Read and write' permissions to
everyone I can find!), I can't 'see' the PowerMac at all!

I'll bet I'm missing the obvious. I'd be delighted to be told what it is!

Regards.

Old January 29th 05, 03:38 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Richard H

Think a Mac group might be of more use to you, not sure how many people on
here know the mac OS