Need advice: sharing ADSL connection and networking PC's together?

Old January 27th 05, 10:24 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tone-EQ

Default Need advice: sharing ADSL connection and networking PC's together?

A friend of mine has asked for advice on this setup and not knowing a lot
about networking myself I'm turning to all of you for advice.

Current setup comprises of a USB ADSL modem connected to one computer,
linked to the second computer with a Cat5 crossover (?) cable, I think with
internet connection sharing being used. Main problem with this setup is that
the 1st PC needs to be on if someone on the 2nd PC wants to access the
internet.

Also, more computers need to added (another 2) and I suggested that maybe he
needs a 4 port ADSL modem/router. It is my understanding that an ADSL
modem/router would allow all connected PC's to access an ADSL connection and
share files from PC to PC, correct?

If correct, could the ADSL modem be configured to use an existing Tiscali
ADSL connection? How easy?

Looking for something cheapish too, would something like this do the job?
http://tinyurl.com/3z394

(Would prefer to buy from eBuyer for ease of delivery.)

Many thanks.

--
Regards,
Tony. (tony.cue(at)tiscali.co.uk)

Discogs: building the definitive database of electronic music...
http://www.discogs.com

Old January 27th 05, 10:46 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 10:24:56 -0000, "Tone-EQ"
wrote:

Also, more computers need to added (another 2) and I suggested that maybe he
needs a 4 port ADSL modem/router. It is my understanding that an ADSL
modem/router would allow all connected PC's to access an ADSL connection and
share files from PC to PC, correct?

correct, that's what they are for.

If correct, could the ADSL modem be configured to use an existing Tiscali
ADSL connection? How easy?

the ADSL modem/router just needs a few settings in its web interface -
the username, password, that type of thing.

Quickfind code: 52754 will work as will the one you posted. The
Netgear has an SPI firewall.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old January 27th 05, 03:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tone-EQ

Also, more computers need to added (another 2) and I suggested that maybe
he
needs a 4 port ADSL modem/router. It is my understanding that an ADSL
modem/router would allow all connected PC's to access an ADSL connection
and
share files from PC to PC, correct?

correct, that's what they are for.

If correct, could the ADSL modem be configured to use an existing Tiscali
ADSL connection? How easy?

the ADSL modem/router just needs a few settings in its web interface -
the username, password, that type of thing.

Quickfind code: 52754 will work as will the one you posted. The
Netgear has an SPI firewall.

Thanks for your help so far, and for that suggestion, that seems a better
solution.

I've been right so far but now a question about cables...

I'm hoping that Cat5e UTP patch cables will do the trick?

Old January 27th 05, 05:44 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 15:30:37 -0000, "Tone-EQ"
wrote:

I'm hoping that Cat5e UTP patch cables will do the trick?

indeed, there'll probably be one in the box with the router.

Phil
Old January 27th 05, 05:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tone-EQ

I'm hoping that Cat5e UTP patch cables will do the trick?

indeed, there'll probably be one in the box with the router.

Thanks again for your help.

Old January 27th 05, 08:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
superdee

Why don't you go for a wireless router, get new wireless cards for the
PCs and you don't need cables running anywhere?

Old January 28th 05, 08:14 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 20:05:11 +0000, superdee
wrote:

Why don't you go for a wireless router, get new wireless cards for the
PCs and you don't need cables running anywhere?

its substantially more expensive (as a %) and less reliable would be
two arguments against this approach. I do use it myself for laptops
and to avoid a cable run upstairs.

Why not use ethernet over powerline or ethernet over home phone wiring
kits, they would equally avoid extra wires.

Phil