Video streaming across small home network - easy to do?

Old January 28th 05, 10:44 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Chunky

Default Video streaming across small home network - easy to do?

I have a live video stream from a wireless camera which I would like to have
available across my small home network. It is a (wireless but not wifi)
baby-cam which has infra-red night vision and the base unit gives an RCA +
stereo audio, instead of being tied to a single TV I thought it would be
good to be able to split the signal and stream the feed to the PC's / laptop
on my home network. Then we can log in and check up on junior from anywhere
in the house!

I initially looked into buying one of the network web cameras, but based on
advice that their low light performance is poor went for a purpose made
baby-cam which works well in the dark.

I am guessing I need :

Video capture device of some kind on Server PC (one of external usb 2 ones
perhaps with TV tuner and RCA-in)
Server software to provide live feed to the network (no idea)
Software to playback stream (realplayer or the like?)

I have googled a bit and haven't come up with much that is easily
digestable. I am not really clear on what it takes to recieve, encode and
broadcast live video on the fly, does it need a hardware accelerated card
like a PVR250?

Any advice on software or hardware or links to helpful websites appreciated.

My stuff:

Draytek 2600We router 802.11b
AMD XP 2400, radeon 9800 pro vivo, 1gb
AMD XP1700, ti200 vivo, 768 gb
Thinkpad centrino 1.4, 1gb
a wifi palm, squeezebox

This is just for messing about (fun) so I can't spend mega bucks on a new PC
but am willing to spend some tinkering money!

Thanks in advance

Chunkers

Old January 29th 05, 12:22 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Chunky

Server software to provide live feed to the network (no idea)
Software to playback stream (realplayer or the like?)

Hmmmm,

Much googling later :

http://www.videolan.org/

Looks messy though.....

Chunkers

Old January 29th 05, 10:06 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
deKay

Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Fri, 28 Jan
2005 23:22:05 -0000, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
uk.comp.home-networking, yawatina tan reek esk "Chunky" No fornis do
marikano es bono tan el:

http://www.videolan.org/

Looks messy though.....

Showshifter might do what you want, or even Windows Media Encoder - which is
free.

deKay
--
+ Lofi Gaming - www.lofi-gaming.org.uk [Gamertag: deKay 01]
|- Gaming Diary - www.lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary/
Old February 6th 05, 10:10 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Liam Gaughan

do this to watch episodes i download from the net if i
wanna watch em on other pcs:

download Windows Media Encoder, make sure it is a GUI version
then just run the wizard, and go to Broadcast a live event, choose your
webcam as your source (can be a normal webcam) and then choose the bitrate
etc... choose a port that you know will be free.

then to watch from any pc, lets say the name of the pc on the network is
pc1, then in media player, goto open url.. and paste in the box

http://pc1:1300

where 1300 is the port nuber you chose in the encoder.

to simplify the process, once youve set this up, you can save the encoder
setup file, and you can also paste that direct link into a text file and
save it wihtr an .asx extension so that when you click it, it loads in
media player

confusing and fast but hope it helps