TCP/IP conundrum.

Old January 29th 05, 11:53 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Peter Crosland

Default TCP/IP conundrum.

OK OK! I freely admit my knowledge of TCP/IP is limited but I have searched
around and still cannot see what I am doing wrong. No doubt I shall feel
incredibly stupid when I learn the answer! Any positive help, as opposed to
weblinks, would be most welcome. My system consists of a desktop running
Windows XP SP2 with all updates. I connect to the net via a Draytek 2600.
Also have a laptop that I use occasionally in another room. This is
connected to another port on the router. Both of these work perfectly. The
two computers have networking set as follows

Fixed IP address
IP address 192.168.1.51 and 192.168.1.52 respectively.
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Default gateway 192.168.1.1
Primary DNS server 212.159.13.49
Secondary DNS server 212.159.13.50

The router settings are

IP address for NAT usage 192.168.1.1
DHCP server disabled

I have tried to add an AXIS 2120 webcam to another of the server ports
following the setup to the letter but I cannot get it recognised on by
either the desktop or laptop. The AXIS IP installer utility just sits
grinning at me and does not detect the camera. I have tried a hard reset of
the camera and issued the following command line within a DOS window

arp -s 192.168.1.53 00-40-8c-5c-06-98 192.168.1.51

pinging 192.168.1.53 just returns the timed out message.

Having consulted the AXIS website it says the hard reset causes the camera
IP to be set to 192.36.253.80. As I see it there are two possibilities.
First that the camera is defective, but it was certainly working AOK
elsewhere before I received it and in any case I could not get another IP
camera to work either. Second, and I feel much more probable is that I need
to alter my IP settings so I can access the camera and set it up with an
address such as 192.168.1.55 for example that I am sure is within the
correct subnet range. In this case what do I need to alter my existing
settings to so that everything will co-exist? If I just want to use a
crossover cable to my laptop to do this what do I need to alter the TCP/IP
settings to? Please spare me the theory: because I need a solution quickly!
Thanks in advance. Free beer offered to the first person to provide a
solution that works.

Peter Crosland

Old January 29th 05, 12:06 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 11:53:12 -0000, "Peter Crosland"
wrote:

Please spare me the theory: because I need a solution quickly!

if you enable the DHCP server in the router and plug the camera in
does it not sort itself out, and you would see its IP address from the
router clients table ?

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old January 29th 05, 12:11 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Peter Crosland

if you enable the DHCP server in the router and plug the camera in
does it not sort itself out, and you would see its IP address from the
router clients table ?

Thanks for the suggestion but the AXIS instructions specifically state that
you should turn the DHCP server off. I have tried it and the syptoms remain
the same. No allocated IP aadress appears in the router list in this case.

Peter Crosland

Old January 29th 05, 01:25 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 12:11:22 -0000, "Peter Crosland"
wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion but the AXIS instructions specifically state that
you should turn the DHCP server off.

crazy, a camera vendor tells you how to run your network :-)

turning the cameras dHCP client off so you fix its IP, maybe. Turning
the router DHCP off is daft esp if you use wireless.

Phil
Old January 29th 05, 02:02 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

In article , "Peter Crosland"
says...
[...]

Set the laptop address to be 192.36.253.81, leave everything else as
it is, and hook up the crossover cable.

Old January 29th 05, 02:31 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dave Stanton

Turning the
router DHCP off is daft esp if you use wireless.

Phil

Why is it daft ?. Wireless I give you up to a point. But in a home network
with maybe half a dozen pc's at most, static address works fine.

Dave

again
in the future!!
Old January 29th 05, 02:38 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Peter Crosland

Set the laptop address to be 192.36.253.81, leave everything else as
it is, and hook up the crossover cable.

Thanks for that Rob. It does not work. Let us assume, for the moment, that
the hardware is OK The camera network LED illuminates in sync with the
pings. Is there any software on free the net that would enable me to
actually see what is being sent to and from the camera?

Old January 29th 05, 02:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 14:31:25 +0000, Dave Stanton
wrote:

Why is it daft ?. Wireless I give you up to a point. But in a home network
with maybe half a dozen pc's at most, static address works fine.

I wasn't arguing against using static IPs, but agaisnt turning off the
DHCP server. Leaving it on gives you plug and play access to another
PC or device introduced into the system.

I would rather the DHCP server dish out the current ISP DNS servers
than have me runing round doing them manually as well.

But we digress

Phil
Old January 29th 05, 02:50 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

wrote:

Fixed IP address
IP address 192.168.1.51 and 192.168.1.52 respectively.
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0

if you made the subnet mask 255.0.0.0 does it work ? That would mean
that only the 192 defined the network and should allow the 192.168.x.y
and 192.36.x.y devices to talk to each other as they are then on the
same subnet (hoping that the camera has a 255.0.0.0 mask)

that's based on my emerging understanding f subnetting, corrections
welcome :-)

Phil
Old January 29th 05, 02:59 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dave Stanton

But we digress

Phil

Yes, ok