Netgear DG834GT router & WG111T NIC - Only reaching 108mbs when forced

Old January 29th 05, 05:04 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andrew Holder

Default Netgear DG834GT router & WG111T NIC - Only reaching 108mbs when forced

Just bought and installed the above on two desktop PCs. All connects fine
(using channel 6) when setting "108mbs only". However, when I set it to
"Auto 108" the speed drops down to 54mbs. In the future, I will also be
needing a G connection sometimes from a laptop - bit I'd prefer the router
to "auto sense" when it needs to drop down to 54mbs. I am running the latest
software.

Any ideas?

Andrew

Old January 29th 05, 05:31 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tony

"Andrew Holder" wrote in message
Just bought and installed the above on two desktop PCs. All connects fine
(using channel 6) when setting "108mbs only". However, when I set it to
"Auto 108" the speed drops down to 54mbs. In the future, I will also be
needing a G connection sometimes from a laptop - bit I'd prefer the router
to "auto sense" when it needs to drop down to 54mbs. I am running the
latest software.

Any ideas?

Andrew

I assume that Auto108 means exactly that. I presume the router considers
that the quality of the link doesn't merit giving you a 108mbps connection.
Have you tried bringing the router and client closer together to see if the
link then stays at 108? The link quality/signal strength is normally the
deciding factor on the speed of the connection.

Old January 29th 05, 06:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andrew Holder

Hi Tony, thanks for your reply.

The router can connect at 108Mbps - it does it OK when I select "108Mbps
only" - but this reduces to 54Mbps showing on the WG111T utility on the
other PC if I select "Auto 108Mbps". I wonder if this a software problem and
will be fixed with a future router driver/firmware update.

It would be useful to know if anyone has managed to get 108Mbps with "Auto
108Mpbs" selected?

Regards,

Old January 30th 05, 05:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andrew Holder

As it happens I did try Tony's suggestion before replying. Perhaps I am at
fault for not explicitly stating this, but my results were as I described.
Again, I thank Tony for his input. These groups are great for all of us to
exchange ideas in a friendly environment.

I did however find your post offensive and I am sorry that you are unable to
control your language and anger.