can I dial on a modem/router

Old January 29th 05, 11:25 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
David Severn

Default can I dial on a modem/router

I am using Belkin adsl modem /router with 3 computers (F5D7630) the problem
is that I want to update a webpage on a dialup freeserve account that is
occasionaly used, that requires dail up cause thats how they get their money
as is is not a subscription account. Can I dial up with this modem please!

Old January 29th 05, 11:34 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
lurch

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 23:25:19 +0000 (UTC), "David Severn"
strung together this:

I am using Belkin adsl modem /router with 3 computers (F5D7630) the problem
is that I want to update a webpage on a dialup freeserve account that is
occasionaly used, that requires dail up cause thats how they get their money
as is is not a subscription account. Can I dial up with this modem please!

Nope. You need a dial-up modem. You've got an ADSL modem.
--

SJW
Old January 30th 05, 09:46 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff Gaines

On 29/01/2005 Lurch wrote:

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 23:25:19 +0000 (UTC), "David Severn"
strung together this:

I am using Belkin adsl modem /router with 3 computers (F5D7630) the
problem is that I want to update a webpage on a dialup freeserve
account that is occasionaly used, that requires dail up cause thats
how they get their money as is is not a subscription account. Can I
dial up with this modem please!

Nope. You need a dial-up modem. You've got an ADSL modem.

You can plug an ordinary modem into any 'phone socket and use it. It
needs to me filtered (micro filter) or it may interfere with your ADSL
connection.

--
Jeff Gaines
Posted with XanaNews 1.17.1.2
Old January 30th 05, 09:57 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
antony watson

I had the same problem with my adsl router, but found that the only way I
could do this was to install a dial up 56k modem and do it the old fashion
way.

Old January 30th 05, 10:14 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martin Underwood

"Jeff Gaines" wrote in message
On 29/01/2005 Lurch wrote:

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 23:25:19 +0000 (UTC), "David Severn"
strung together this:

I am using Belkin adsl modem /router with 3 computers (F5D7630) the
problem is that I want to update a webpage on a dialup freeserve
account that is occasionaly used, that requires dail up cause thats
how they get their money as is is not a subscription account. Can I
dial up with this modem please!

Nope. You need a dial-up modem. You've got an ADSL modem.

You can plug an ordinary modem into any 'phone socket and use it. It
needs to me filtered (micro filter) or it may interfere with your ADSL
connection.

I wonder if you might need to disable your PC's network connection
temporarily when you do this so that the PC only sees one TCP/IP connection
(via dial-up). If you have several routes to access the same address, TCP
might try the fastest (ADSL) and then give up when it doesn't get a reply
from your freeserve address - or even worse, if it gets a "sod off, you're
not accessing this via freeserve dial-up" response.

Certainly that's what I'd suggest you try if you have any problem accessing
your site over dial-up.

Old January 30th 05, 11:02 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff Gaines

On 30/01/2005 Martin Underwood wrote:

I wonder if you might need to disable your PC's network connection
temporarily when you do this so that the PC only sees one TCP/IP
connection (via dial-up). If you have several routes to access the
same address, TCP might try the fastest (ADSL) and then give up when
it doesn't get a reply from your freeserve address - or even worse,
if it gets a "sod off, you're not accessing this via freeserve
dial-up" response.

Certainly that's what I'd suggest you try if you have any problem
accessing your site over dial-up.

I don't know the technical answer.

I transferred to ADSL (from ISDN) eleven days ago but still needed to
dial up to one account. I just dug my old modem out, dusted it off,
tried to remember what a serial connector looked like, plugged it in
and it worked.

ADSL was still connected and when my email client went through each
account to collect mail it dialled that account via the modem. This
stuff is getting a bit too clever for me.

Have you a link for the error message that starts "sod off, you're not
accessing this...", haven't seen that one before :-)

--
Jeff Gaines
Posted with XanaNews 1.17.1.2
Old January 30th 05, 12:44 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
lurch

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 10:14:00 -0000, "Martin Underwood"
strung together this:

I wonder if you might need to disable your PC's network connection
temporarily when you do this so that the PC only sees one TCP/IP connection
(via dial-up).

It should work via both, if you tell it to. Probably easier to set
your browser to 'always dial my default connection' temporarily.
--

SJW
Old January 30th 05, 04:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

"Martin Underwood" wrote in message
I wonder if you might need to disable your PC's network connection
temporarily when you do this so that the PC only sees one TCP/IP
connection (via dial-up).

I think the dial-up connection pretty much "takes over". That is, if you
establish a dial-up connection, all Internet access will use that dial-up
connection.

Alex

Old January 30th 05, 04:57 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
recursor

"Alex Fraser" wrote in message

"Martin Underwood" wrote in message
I wonder if you might need to disable your PC's network connection
temporarily when you do this so that the PC only sees one TCP/IP
connection (via dial-up).

I think the dial-up connection pretty much "takes over". That is, if you
establish a dial-up connection, all Internet access will use that dial-up
connection.

Yeah, that's exactly what happens on the odd occasion I do it, it's as if my
adsl connection disappeared, until I uninstall the dial-up and then M$ make it
magically reappear again.