2 usb printers and 2 PCs

Old January 31st 05, 01:57 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Fred

Default 2 usb printers and 2 PCs

I would like to be able to print from either PC to either printer. One PC
is a laptop and since it's a work PC I can't network it with my standalone
PC. Hence the question.

Any ideas?

Old January 31st 05, 02:22 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
lurch

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 13:57:28 -0000, "Fred" strung
together this:

One PC
is a laptop and since it's a work PC I can't network it with my standalone
PC. Hence the question.

Any ideas?

Er, no. If you can't connect the two machines together you're not
going to be able to print to anyhting.

You can set up a sort of network to allow printing over it, it depends
how your laptop is setup.
--

SJW
Old January 31st 05, 02:23 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Paul D.Smith

"Fred" wrote in message
I would like to be able to print from either PC to either printer. One PC
is a laptop and since it's a work PC I can't network it with my standalone
PC. Hence the question.

Any ideas?

Why can't you network it? If you use DHCP at work (and most companies with
portables do) then buying a DHCP capable router will mean you plug in and
voila, you're networked.

Now there _are_ concerns about securiy but I would hope your portable
already has ZoneAlarm or similar suitably hardened to protect against being
"attacked" whilst connected to your home network.

Paul DS.

Old January 31st 05, 02:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff Gaines

On 31/01/2005 Fred wrote:

I would like to be able to print from either PC to either printer.
One PC is a laptop and since it's a work PC I can't network it with
my standalone PC. Hence the question.

Any ideas?

You can get a 'data switch' that takes two parallel port cables and
feeds on to one printer, there are manual and automatic versions.

Since parallel ports are fast disappearing may be worth checking if
there is a USB equivalent.

--
Jeff Gaines
Posted with XanaNews 1.17.1.2
Old January 31st 05, 03:21 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

In article , "Fred"
says...

http://www.netswitcher.com/product_info.htm
Old January 31st 05, 03:35 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Fred

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 13:57:28 -0000, "Fred" strung
together this:

One PC
is a laptop and since it's a work PC I can't network it with my

standalone
PC. Hence the question.

Any ideas?

Er, no. If you can't connect the two machines together you're not
going to be able to print to anyhting.

You can set up a sort of network to allow printing over it, it depends
how your laptop is setup.
--

SJW

Thanks but the laptop is networked at work and I don't want to fiddle with
that. I was hoping for a hub type solution which could switch either PC to
either printer similar to an active printer switch I've used in the past.

Old January 31st 05, 03:37 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Fred

"Jeff Gaines" wrote in message
On 31/01/2005 Fred wrote:

I would like to be able to print from either PC to either printer.
One PC is a laptop and since it's a work PC I can't network it with
my standalone PC. Hence the question.

Any ideas?

You can get a 'data switch' that takes two parallel port cables and
feeds on to one printer, there are manual and automatic versions.

Since parallel ports are fast disappearing may be worth checking if
there is a USB equivalent.

--
Jeff Gaines
Posted with XanaNews 1.17.1.2

You have hit the nail on the head. Is there any such beast?

Old January 31st 05, 03:41 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Fred

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
In article , "Fred"
says...
I would like to be able to print from either PC to either printer. One

PC
is a laptop and since it's a work PC I can't network it with my

standalone
PC. Hence the question.

Any ideas?

http://www.netswitcher.com/product_info.htm

Interesting tool. I was really hoping for a USB - hub like solution but
will bear it in mind as a last resort.

Old January 31st 05, 04:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff Gaines

On 31/01/2005 Fred wrote:

I would like to be able to print from either PC to either printer.
One PC is a laptop and since it's a work PC I can't network it
with my standalone PC. Hence the question.

Any ideas?

You can get a 'data switch' that takes two parallel port cables and
feeds on to one printer, there are manual and automatic versions.

Since parallel ports are fast disappearing may be worth checking if
there is a USB equivalent.

--
Jeff Gaines
Posted with XanaNews 1.17.1.2

You have hit the nail on the head. Is there any such beast?

I've not used one but a Google for 'usb printer switch' threw up:
http://www.lindy.com/uk/catalog/07/00c/index.php

--
Jeff Gaines
Posted with XanaNews 1.17.1.2
Old January 31st 05, 08:09 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dave Stanton

Thanks but the laptop is networked at work and I don't want to fiddle with
that. I was hoping for a hub type solution which could switch either PC
to either printer similar to an active printer switch I've used in the
past.

Why dont you find out what the DHCP range at work is and set your network
to use the same range, assuming its a private address range.

Dave

again
in the future!!