extending a network

Old January 31st 05, 04:55 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Oh God It's Him Again

Default extending a network

Greetings

I currently have a network that someone else set up for me, and I now want
to add another computer to the network, but have got lost!

The existing network consists of a desktop PC wired to a Linksys
modem/router, and a laptop connecting via a wireless adapter. It all works
perfectly well.

I now have another desktop that I want in another room in the house. I have
installed a wireless adapter PCI card (after installing the software as
instructed).

An icon has appeared in the taskbar, and when I run the mouse over it, it
tells me it is ""Wireless Network Connection (xxxx)" (where xxxx is the name
of the network) with excellent signal strength, but limited or no
connectivity.

I have tried doing a "repair" but the end message is "The network did not
assign a network address to the computer"

Can anyone please walk me through what I need to do to get this working.

All 3 computers have Windows XP.

More info on request of course.

Cheers

Old January 31st 05, 05:10 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 16:55:16 -0000, "Oh God It's Him Again"
wrote:

All 3 computers have Windows XP.
More info on request of course.

determine the IP addresses of all the machines and post them here, if
you select the network conneciton icon in Network Connections the IP
is diplayed on the left sidebar (or right mouse/status/support), note
also how is assigned manual or DHCP.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old January 31st 05, 05:14 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

"Oh God It's Him Again" wrote in message
The existing network consists of a desktop PC wired to a Linksys
modem/router, and a laptop connecting via a wireless adapter. It all
works perfectly well.

I now have another desktop that I want in another room in the house. I
have installed a wireless adapter PCI card (after installing the software
as instructed).

[snip]
I have tried doing a "repair" but the end message is "The network did not
assign a network address to the computer"

Can anyone please walk me through what I need to do to get this working.

Possibly the router has MAC filtering enabled, and (naturally) the MAC
address of the new card is not known to the router. Consulting your router's
documentation should tell you how to check if this is the cause, and if so,
how to resolve it (ie adding the new address).

HTH,
Alex

Old January 31st 05, 05:39 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Oh God It's Him Again

OK - thanks for the reply.

Current desktop is 192.168.1.102 subnet 255.255.255.0, DHCP assigned

Laptop is 192.168.1.101 subnet 255.255.255.0, DHCP assigned

New desktop is 169.254.37.35 subnet 255.255.0.0 automatic private address

Any help?

Old January 31st 05, 06:09 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales

"Oh God It's Him Again" wrote in message
OK - thanks for the reply.

Current desktop is 192.168.1.102 subnet 255.255.255.0, DHCP assigned

Laptop is 192.168.1.101 subnet 255.255.255.0, DHCP assigned

New desktop is 169.254.37.35 subnet 255.255.0.0 automatic private

address

Any help?

Manually alter the last one to 192.168.0.xxx , or release all then try
again, im not too good with words and never dont it with xp.

You could ping

Old January 31st 05, 06:58 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Oh God It's Him Again

How do I manually alter it?

Old January 31st 05, 07:18 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 17:39:47 -0000, "Oh God It's Him Again"
wrote:

New desktop is 169.254.37.35 subnet 255.255.0.0 automatic private address
Any help?

yes, the latter machine has not been given an IP address by a DHCP
server or had one set manually.

you could manuallty set it to 192.168.1.103 subnet 255.255.255.0 (for
example).

Some routers are limited to giving out two IP addresses, may be worth
checking the spec and seeing if there is a limit in the setup pages.
Doing a "repair" should refresh the IP address, but if there is some
problem with encryption, MAC address filtering of whatever then the
new machine isn't allowed to talk to the router.

Phil
Old January 31st 05, 08:01 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff Gaines

wrote:

New desktop is 169.254.37.35 subnet 255.255.0.0 automatic private
address Any help?

yes, the latter machine has not been given an IP address by a DHCP
server or had one set manually.

Windows built in DHCP dishes out 169 addreses. I would think the OP
used the XP network 'wizard' which is usually guaranteed to screw
things up.

--
Jeff Gaines
Posted with XanaNews 1.17.1.2
Old January 31st 05, 08:08 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Oh God It's Him Again

OK I set the IP address and subnet as sugested, also copied default gateway
and DNS server info from the other computers.

Now the icon in the taskbar tells me "Status: Connected" - only I still
can't get online or see the rest of the network.

Could we perhaps start from scratch, and someone tell me what the process
should be to bring in a new computer and add it to an existing network.

Old January 31st 05, 09:02 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
PeeGee

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 17:14:49 -0000, "Alex Fraser"
wrote:

[...]

While you are checking the MAC filtering, check that the DHCP server
will allocate more than two addresses and set the new PC to use DHCP
again.

To get your MAC address for the new PC, goto start-run and type CMD
and "enter". In the command window, type

ipconfig /all

and this will list the connection details for your network interfaces.

PeeGee
--
The reply address is a spam trap. If you need to reply directly, put the UK where it should be - first.