Two switch routers...

Old January 31st 05, 10:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Nozza

Default Two switch routers...

I have run out of ports on my switch router - a linksys BEFSR41

I am with Blueyonder. The switchrouter works a treat. I have a spare
BEFSR41 switch router.

If I could daisy chain this off the existing switch, that would be
fab. Ideally I want all PCs to be able to share files and resources.

Is it just a case of disabling NAT on the daisychained switch. Would
this allow PCs connected to the daisychained switch to get there DHCP
address from the parent switch?

If I don't disable NAT on the child switch, would PCs connected to the
child be able to see the parent and vice versa?

Schematic below (for those with fixed width fonts)

CM---- SwitchRouter 1 ------------ Switchrouter 2 ----------- PC
! !
------ PC --------------------- PC
! !
------ PC --------------------- PC
! !
------ PC --------------------- PC

Hints, tips and advice welcomed.

Thanks

Noz
--
Email (ROT13)

Old February 1st 05, 12:58 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
lurch

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 21:51:14 +0000, Nozza
strung together this:

Hints, tips and advice welcomed.

Turn off DHCP on 2nd router, connect one of the LAN ports on the 1st
router to one of the LAN ports on the 2nd router.

Sorted.

Alternatively, buy a cheap 100Mbps hub from ebuyer or somesuch place.
--

SJW
Old February 1st 05, 02:17 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 21:51:14 +0000, Nozza
strung together this:

Hints, tips and advice welcomed.

Turn off DHCP on 2nd router, connect one of the LAN ports on the 1st
router to one of the LAN ports on the 2nd router.

Sorted.

Almost sorted. The OP also needs to configure the routers with different LAN
addresses. It would be a good idea to configure the 1st router's DHCP server
to have a DHCP range that excludes the address of the 2nd router, although
it's unlikely to be necessary.

To connect the routers together, the OP might need to use a cross-over
cable.

Alex

Old February 1st 05, 12:44 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
lurch

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 01:17:38 -0000, "Alex Fraser"
strung together this:

Almost sorted. The OP also needs to configure the routers with different LAN
addresses. It would be a good idea to configure the 1st router's DHCP server
to have a DHCP range that excludes the address of the 2nd router, although
it's unlikely to be necessary.

Pardon? If the OP is using the 2nd router as a simple hub\switch then
there's no need to do anything other than plug it in.
--

SJW
Old February 1st 05, 02:16 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
lurch

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 12:50:38 -0000, Rob Morley
strung together this:

But a router has an address on the LAN, and many routers will by
default have the same address.

Gotchya, feeling a bit under the weather today, hence I'm being a bit
slow!
--

SJW
Old February 1st 05, 04:16 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
deKay

Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Tue, 1 Feb
2005 15:09:25 -0000, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
uk.comp.home-networking, yawatina tan reek esk "Paul D.Smith"
fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

Are you sure? I thought routers could be configured to get their own
address from the upstream DHCP server?

Yes, but that is only on the WAN side. The routers have two IPs - the
internal LAN one (192.168.1.1, typically) and the upstream DHCP assigned WAN
one. You would have to manually change one of the routers to have a LAN IP of
something other than 192.168.1.1, ideally something not in the DHCP range of
the other router.

deKay
--
+ Lofi Gaming - www.lofi-gaming.org.uk
|- ugvm Magazine - www.ugvm.org.uk
Old February 1st 05, 06:18 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Nozza

I'm appreciating all the feedback - please carry on!

Specially interested to know whether all pcs would be able to see each
other if they have different "subnets".

Ciao for now

Noz
--
Email (ROT13)

Old February 1st 05, 06:27 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
lurch

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 17:18:15 +0000, Nozza
strung together this:

I'm appreciating all the feedback - please carry on!

Specially interested to know whether all pcs would be able to see each
other if they have different "subnets".

Depends what the subnets are. Googling for "subnet notation" should
bring you a few pointers to what subnets do.
--

SJW