settings not saving

Old February 1st 05, 08:03 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Oh God It's Him Again

Default settings not saving

Following on earlier advice/coaching from this group I have succeeded in
adding another computer into my network - but have discovered a problem -
when I switch the new computer off, settings are lost.

The network was a desktop PC wired into a Linksys modem/router, a laptop
connecting via a wireless adapter. The addition was/is a new desktop using a
wireless PCI adapter.

The addition was done by installing software, adding the adapter, checking
DHCP settings, ensuring addesses were automatically obtained etc.

HOWEVER - when I switch off, next time I switch on again, the icon for the
connection shows in the taskbar as good signal, status connected, but I
can't connect to the network or the internet (which was my original
problem).

If I go through the process - Start, My Network Places, View network
connections, select my wireless network, change settings of this connection,
Wireless Networks tab, put tick into Use Windows to configure (which tick
has always gone when I get back here), click on the network name, click OK -
then all is working fine again. But when I switch off and restart, have to
do this all over again.

So presumably Windows is losing something instead of remembering this
position?

HEEELLLLPPPPP!

Old February 1st 05, 09:54 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tony

"Oh God It's Him Again" wrote in message
[...]

What's the make of the PCI card? If its a Belkin I'll put me coat on and
disappear!! Have you tried downloading the latest driver from the
manufactures website? It may be a software bug that has been fixed. Has a
program been installed for the PCI card to control wireless connections? It
may be overriding the windows settings.

Before you reset the settings what do the connection details say? (Double
click the network item and look at the support tab).

Old February 1st 05, 10:15 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Oh God It's Him Again

Well you get first prize - it is a Belkin PCI card. No software installed
other than drivers - so I guess i go look for updated drivers as a first
step?

Old February 1st 05, 11:14 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tony

"Oh God It's Him Again" wrote in message
Well you get first prize - it is a Belkin PCI card. No software installed
other than drivers - so I guess i go look for updated drivers as a first
step?

Oh dear! I stopped using Belkin wireless stuff ages ago because their
drivers/software was a bit flaky. Thought they may of got their act
together a bit now as quite a few people seem to be using their gear without
a problem but it looks like their may still be a few bugs. Depending on the
chipset of the card, sometimes other manufacturers drivers work better but
it would mean identifying what chipset is used and finding another
manufacturer that uses the same one. For their wireless USB adaptors, I
found the SMC driver worked better as an example. Do try their website and
download the latest drivers.

Old February 2nd 05, 10:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Oh God It's Him Again

Thought you might like to know - after hints from yourself and others,
eventually tracked down that the Belkin software takes over control of
network settings, without asking of course. Found a setting in its options,
turned it off and Voila! Settings now saved and all is working well.

Thanks for the response.

Old February 3rd 05, 12:42 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tony

"Oh God It's Him Again" wrote in message
Thought you might like to know - after hints from yourself and others,
eventually tracked down that the Belkin software takes over control of
network settings, without asking of course. Found a setting in its
options, turned it off and Voila! Settings now saved and all is working
well.

Thanks for the response.

Thats good to know - perhaps my confidence in Belkin is slowly being
restored :-). Do you have everything up and running now?

Old February 3rd 05, 04:48 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Oh God It's Him Again

Yes - but as far as I'm concerned, software that makes such a radical change
without asking is not one that would give me confidence. The rest of my
network has Linksys stuff, and they certainly didn't change anything. For me
it makes me decide Belkin is out of the running in any future purchases.

Thanks for your help though mate.

Old February 3rd 05, 06:53 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
lurch

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 16:48:22 -0000, "Oh God It's Him Again"
strung together this:

Yes - but as far as I'm concerned, software that makes such a radical change
without asking

That's Windows XP in a nutshell.

is not one that would give me confidence.

That's why I don't use Windows XP. Looks like I did well to avoid
Belkin too!
--

SJW