differences between branded PCI wireless network cards?

Old February 2nd 05, 06:26 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Vijay

Default differences between branded PCI wireless network cards?

Im looking for 2 PCI 802.11g network cards for my 2 home computers. I am
having problems choosing a product as the prices dramatically vary across
brands for the same function card

Eg Belkin do the F5D7000UK card for about 20, whereas Netgear do the WG311
for around 30. With D-Link and Linksys also making products, I dont know
what to choose.

The only features I need them to do is have WEP encryption which I can use
with my Netgear DG834G v2.

Can anyone suggest a decent card or give me suggestions for a few good
review sites online?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Old February 3rd 05, 10:07 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Paul D.Smith

"Vijay" wrote in message
Im looking for 2 PCI 802.11g network cards for my 2 home computers. I am
having problems choosing a product as the prices dramatically vary across
brands for the same function card

Eg Belkin do the F5D7000UK card for about 20, whereas Netgear do the

WG311
for around 30. With D-Link and Linksys also making products, I dont know
what to choose.

The only features I need them to do is have WEP encryption which I can use
with my Netgear DG834G v2.

Can anyone suggest a decent card or give me suggestions for a few good
review sites online?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Personally I'd get everything from one manufacturer. I have a Netgear WG511
bought off e-mail from justdeals-uk for about 20.00. This was a
refurbished model but seems to work fine. This is not an endorsement of
justdeals, just some information for you to use at your own risk.

FYI, base WEP is about as secure as a wet paper bag. There is something
called WSK (if I remember correctly) which uses rotating keys and is more
secure. Your DG384G should support this (mine does) and I believe the WG511
will if you have the latest drivers from Netgear (I'll know next week after
I've had time to install them).

And don't forget to set the MAC filtering on in the DG384G, i.e. only
allowing your specific wirelss card to connect to the WG511. Won't stop a
really determined hacker but every little helps :-).

Paul DS.