Netgear dg834g Port Forwarding

Old February 2nd 05, 07:19 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tools

Default Netgear dg834g Port Forwarding

I'm getting the following error message when trying to set up port
forwarding for HTTP traffic on a Netgear dg834g.

"Service Port Number was defined by another service"

I am trying to follow these instructions:
http://www.portforward.com/netgear/d...forwarding.htm

The error appears at step 6 when I click Apply

Details:
Service name: Web
Start Port: 80
End Port: 80

There are no other services defined, or rules.

Thanks
Old February 2nd 05, 08:15 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

In article , "Tools"
says...
I'm getting the following error message when trying to set up port
forwarding for HTTP traffic on a Netgear dg834g.

"Service Port Number was defined by another service"

I am trying to follow these instructions:
http://www.portforward.com/netgear/d...forwarding.htm

The error appears at step 6 when I click Apply

Details:
Service name: Web
Start Port: 80
End Port: 80

There are no other services defined, or rules.

Maybe it's stepping on the router's web admin page.
Old February 3rd 05, 09:02 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Paul D.Smith

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
In article , "Tools"
says...
I'm getting the following error message when trying to set up port
forwarding for HTTP traffic on a Netgear dg834g.

"Service Port Number was defined by another service"

I am trying to follow these instructions:
http://www.portforward.com/netgear/d...forwarding.htm

The error appears at step 6 when I click Apply

Details:
Service name: Web
Start Port: 80
End Port: 80

There are no other services defined, or rules.

Maybe it's stepping on the router's web admin page.

Check the remote management. By default the router's port is 8080 but this
might have been changed to 80.

Paul DS.

Old February 3rd 05, 09:17 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

"Tools" wrote in message
I'm getting the following error message when trying to set up port
forwarding for HTTP traffic on a Netgear dg834g.

"Service Port Number was defined by another service"

I am trying to follow these instructions:
http://www.portforward.com/netgear/d...forwarding.htm

The error appears at step 6 when I click Apply

Details:
Service name: Web
Start Port: 80
End Port: 80

There are no other services defined, or rules.

According to the manual (I don't have that router but I looked at the manual
recently), there are a number of predefined services - and it wouldn't
surprise me if one of them was HTTP. Try skipping steps 4-6 and see if it is
already defined (eg like the graphic under step 8 shows).

Alex

Old February 4th 05, 09:40 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
MB

Thanks for all the answers. I think they are all right but I still have
the problem.

It's definitely stepping on the router's web admin page because when I
try to go to external IP Address I get prompted to log in to the router
admin console.

I checked remote management and it is set to port 8080. But when I go
to http://myip:8080 I get a "page cannot be displayed error". However,
if I just go to http://myip I am prompted to log into the router
console ... so it doesn't seem to be on port 8080.

There isn't already a service called HTTP.

Thanks for your help, any further ideas?

Old February 4th 05, 10:11 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tiny Tim

MB wrote:
Thanks for all the answers. I think they are all right but I still
have the problem.

It's definitely stepping on the router's web admin page because when I
try to go to external IP Address I get prompted to log in to the
router admin console.

I checked remote management and it is set to port 8080. But when I go
to http://myip:8080 I get a "page cannot be displayed error". However,
if I just go to http://myip I am prompted to log into the router
console ... so it doesn't seem to be on port 8080.

There isn't already a service called HTTP.

Thanks for your help, any further ideas?

I have a DG834G router and the HTTP service is already defined on port 80.
It's just that it doesn't show up on the "Services" page. But on the "Rules"
page you will see it available as a service from the dropdown list of
services.

Make sure you have set up a static IP address for your server so that the
HTTP traffic can be routed accurately (if you have multiple attached
devices).

--
Please quote "easytiger" for your PlusNet referral :-)

Old February 5th 05, 11:03 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andrew Hodgson

On 4 Feb 2005 01:40:12 -0800, "MB" wrote:

Thanks for all the answers. I think they are all right but I still have
the problem.

It's definitely stepping on the router's web admin page because when I
try to go to external IP Address I get prompted to log in to the router
admin console.

While I think this is the case, the reason you get that remote admin
console is because you are trying to make a connection out and then
back into the network which gets the router confused, thus you just
end up with either no response or the web interface.

Andrew.
My Email: use andrew at hodgsonfamily dot org.