Web Filter for home network

Old February 5th 05, 03:43 PM posted to ntl.discussion.home-networking,uk.comp.home-networking
Katie

Default Web Filter for home network

I am looking for a web filter, that i can use on my home network all
machines xp pro sp2

I dont want the likes of Net Nanny, i would like a client/server, where
software is installed onto a server machine and proxy settings are defined
on cliients

TIA

Katie

Old February 5th 05, 04:36 PM posted to ntl.discussion.home-networking,uk.comp.home-networking
Garfield

As far as I can tell, many routers' parental control feature advertised is
based on URL keyword, i.e. it denies access to sites with particular keyword
in it URL. If this is what you wanted, my Origo BRP 1400 router offers this
feature, and it is cheap too. It is only 23 pounds when I bought it a while
back.

Netgear is another vendor that I know have this feature in its routers.

Regards

Garfield

Old February 5th 05, 05:00 PM posted to ntl.discussion.home-networking,uk.comp.home-networking
Katie

I have a Belkin 54g Wireless Cable/DSL Router

Parenteal controls are not combatible with ntl

Old February 5th 05, 10:53 PM posted to ntl.discussion.home-networking,uk.comp.home-networking
Andrew Hodgson

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 16:36:08 GMT, "Garfield"
wrote:

As far as I can tell, many routers' parental control feature advertised is
based on URL keyword, i.e. it denies access to sites with particular keyword
in it URL. If this is what you wanted, my Origo BRP 1400 router offers this
feature, and it is cheap too. It is only 23 pounds when I bought it a while
back.

The Draytek has this feature also, as well as a lot of other features.
You could also do it with Squid and a filter list which is updated on
a regular basis. One fairly cheap product that does this is called
the Net-Inter-Net from http://www.kyzo.com, but it gives you a lot of
other features like mail, file server etc. You can have a license
which runs on a machine, and I know someone doing this with a 486 with
around 5 users.

Andrew.
My Email: use andrew at hodgsonfamily dot org.
Old February 6th 05, 08:57 AM posted to ntl.discussion.home-networking,uk.comp.home-networking
Eric

Katie wrote:

I am looking for a web filter, that i can use on my home network all
machines xp pro sp2

I dont want the likes of Net Nanny, i would like a client/server, where
software is installed onto a server machine and proxy settings are defined
on cliients

If you don't mind a bit of fiddling, you could use floppyfw to do your
netnannying. Get a scrap PC (~P100, =12MB,floppy and some NICs (say
3c509)). Make the floppyfw disk and add the adblocker package. That should
work.

Eric.