Hardware Internet Sharing

Old February 7th 05, 10:31 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
NickC

Default Hardware Internet Sharing

Hi there,

Homechoice is driving me insane.

The problem I am having is that I have only one IP address to connect
to the Internet with. The setup at the moment is as follows:

Adsl modem (provided by Homechoice) connected to telephone socket at
one end, and to router via ethernet. The router then connects the
other pcs in the house.

The issue is in DHCP. If DHCP is turned on in the router, the network
works fine, but I have no access to the internet. I am assuming it is
because the router tries to assign an IP address to the modem as well,
which it can't do, meaning that the modem isn't seen on the network.

If DHCP is turned off, then I only have one IP address, assigned by
the ISP through the modem, to share between all my computers.

How do I get around this?

Unfortunately the ISP assigns dynamic IP addresses, meaning I can't
fix the IPs on my machines to access the internet.

Anyone got a clue?

Should I just forget about the internet and move to Cuba?
Old February 7th 05, 11:26 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

NickC wrote:
Hi there,

Homechoice is driving me insane.

The problem I am having is that I have only one IP address to connect
to the Internet with. The setup at the moment is as follows:

That's entirely normal.

Adsl modem (provided by Homechoice) connected to telephone socket at
one end, and to router via ethernet. The router then connects the
other pcs in the house.

The issue is in DHCP. If DHCP is turned on in the router, the network
works fine, but I have no access to the internet. I am assuming it is
because the router tries to assign an IP address to the modem as well,
which it can't do, meaning that the modem isn't seen on the network.

I don't think it does assign an address to the router, at least not to
the 'outside world' side of the router. I think your problem lies
elsewhere, probably in the router configuration/set-up.

If DHCP is turned off, then I only have one IP address, assigned by
the ISP through the modem, to share between all my computers.

How do I get around this?

Unfortunately the ISP assigns dynamic IP addresses, meaning I can't
fix the IPs on my machines to access the internet.

Anyone got a clue?

What should be happening is NAT - Network Address Translation in the
router. On the 'internet' side of the router all your machines look
as if they have one IP address, the one assigned by your ISP when you
connect. On your ('intranet') side of the router each machine has its
own IP address which, almost always, will be one of the ranges of
'private' IP addresses. The most commonly used range is
192.168.1.xxx, these can be static (i.e. each machine has a fixed IP
address) or can be assigned by the router using DHCP. The router
'translates' the addresses on all packets that pass through it so that
all your machines feel as if they have their own personal access to
the Internet.

What range of addresses is the router using when assigning addresses
by DHCP?

Is NAT turned on in the router? (possibly called IP masquerading)

--
Chris Green
Old February 7th 05, 11:49 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John Blundell

In article , NickC
writes
If DHCP is turned off, then I only have one IP address, assigned by the
ISP through the modem, to share between all my computers.

Is your modem perhaps also a router? If that is the case, then perhaps
what you need is a plain LAN switch and not a combined router/switch.

You might be able to simulate that by plugging the modem into one of the
LAN ports on the router/switch. Or I might be talking out of the back
of my head.

--
John Blundell

Old February 7th 05, 04:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
lurch

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 10:31:48 +0000, NickC
strung together this:

The problem I am having is that I have only one IP address to connect
to the Internet with.

Not a problem, most people in the UK have only one IP address with
more than one machine behind it.

The setup at the moment is as follows:

Adsl modem (provided by Homechoice) connected to telephone socket at
one end, and to router via ethernet. The router then connects the
other pcs in the house.

The issue is in DHCP. If DHCP is turned on in the router, the network
works fine, but I have no access to the internet. I am assuming it is
because the router tries to assign an IP address to the modem as well,
which it can't do, meaning that the modem isn't seen on the network.

No, the LAN and WAN side of the router are totally independent of each
other. The WAN side of the nmodem picks up the IP address from your
ISP. The LAN side of the modem then either picks up a DHCP IP address
from the router or it can be fixed. This should be in a private
address range such as 192.168.1.*.
The WAN side of the router should have an IP address in the same
subnet as the modem LAN side, i.e. 192.168.1.*.
The LAN side of the router then needs a IP address range seperate from
the WAN side, such as 192.168.0.* and the PC's all connect to the
router in this range, either statically or by DHCP.

So, you will have

Modem WAN = DHCP (address picked up from ISP).
Modem LAN = IP address 192.168.1.1.
Router WAN = 192.168.1.2, gateway 192.168.1.1.
Router LAN = 192.168.0.1.
PC's on network = 192.168.0.2-254 with the gateway set as 192.168.0.1.
All the above, except the modem WAN, should have a 255.255.255.0
subnet.
--

SJW
Old February 8th 05, 04:32 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
NickC

Thank you all for your answers.

Let me clarify a few points.

NAT is turned on in the router. The DHCP address range is 192.168.0.x,
where the router is 192.168.0.1.

I should also point out that the router has an integrated modem.

Now, when all the settings on the pcs are set to "automatically
detect", each pc is assigned an IP address in the 192.168.0.x range,
and the internet is to accessible. At this point, the modem, connected
to a LAN port, is not assigned an IP address. If I check the router's
attached devices, only the pcs are displayed.

If however I set, on one of the pcs, my ISP DNS servers, that PC is
assigned the ISP IP address (81.1.10x.x), and is therefore connected
to the internet. It is however not anymore connected to the intranet,
meaning I can't access the router settings and I can't see the other
pcs.

I'm getting really fed up with this. Is all of this happening because
of the integrated modem?

Thank you all very much for your help.

Old February 8th 05, 05:26 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
PeeGee

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 16:32:38 +0000, NickC
wrote:

[...]

snip
Modem WAN = DHCP (address picked up from ISP).
Modem LAN = IP address 192.168.1.1.
Router WAN = 192.168.1.2, gateway 192.168.1.1.
Router LAN = 192.168.0.1.
PC's on network = 192.168.0.2-254 with the gateway set as 192.168.0.1.
All the above, except the modem WAN, should have a 255.255.255.0
subnet.

I think Lurch's response (after snip) agrees with what I thought, but
your post changes that slightly.

Am I correct in thinking you have a modem/router connected to a modem?

If so, why not connect the modem/router to the line and dispose of the
modem?

Alternatively, you will only be able to use the router as a switch (no
NAT etc), which is why only one PC connects to the internet when you
turn the router DHCP off. With a dynamic IP address from the ISP, the
option to use one system as a proxy for the others is not available
through one connection (as you would have to use the ISP's address
range). In this case, the only option would be to add a second card to
one system to use as a proxy and then connect that to the modem and
the router (switch) on seperate interfaces using a fixed address for
the proxy system.

HTH

PeeGee
--
The reply address is a spam trap. If you need to reply directly, put the UK where it should be - first.
Old February 8th 05, 07:07 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
NickC

Am I correct in thinking you have a modem/router connected to a modem?

If so, why not connect the modem/router to the line and dispose of the
modem?

That's Homechoice for you!

They send TV signals down the telephone line, and everything has to go
through the box. There's not other way.

I'll probably get rid of the router/modem and get a broadband router.

Thanks for your help.

Old February 8th 05, 07:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Clint Sharp

In message , NickC
writes
Hi there,

Homechoice is driving me insane.

The problem I am having is that I have only one IP address to connect
to the Internet with. The setup at the moment is as follows:

Provide model numbers for the router and modem, it makes life easier to
understand if we know what the kit is and how it is likely to have been
configured, we might even be able to tell you exactly how to reconfigure
it.
--
Clint Sharp
Old February 8th 05, 08:27 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
lurch

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 19:07:54 +0000, NickC
strung together this:

Am I correct in thinking you have a modem/router connected to a modem?

If so, why not connect the modem/router to the line and dispose of the
modem?

That's Homechoice for you!

Ah, some more facts creeping out then.

I'll probably get rid of the router/modem and get a broadband router.

You want a cable router, i.e. one with no modem.
--

SJW