Networking a USB Scanner

Old February 7th 05, 04:03 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Binky

Default Networking a USB Scanner

Can a bog standard USB scanner be made available via a wired LAN for all
users to access?

Thanks in advance,

Binky

Old February 7th 05, 08:09 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dave Stanton

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 16:03:05 +0000, Binky wrote:

Can a bog standard USB scanner be made available via a wired LAN for all
users to access?

Thanks in advance,

Binky

Whats the point of networking a scanner ?

Dave

again
in the future!!
Old February 7th 05, 08:25 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Zoidberg

Dave Stanton wrote:
On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 16:03:05 +0000, Binky wrote:

Can a bog standard USB scanner be made available via a wired LAN for
all users to access?

Thanks in advance,

Binky

Whats the point of networking a scanner ?

So that more than one person can use it.

You assume that all the users are going to be a great distance apart which
may not be the case

--
Alex

Hermes: "We can't afford that! Especially not Zoidberg!"
Zoidberg: "They took away my credit cards!"

www.drzoidberg.co.uk
www.sffh.co.uk
www.ebayfaq.co.uk

Old February 7th 05, 09:41 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
lurch

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 19:16:42 -0000, Rob Morley
strung together this:

That's simply not true - Linux has the SANE scanner interface, which
is network capable and supports some USB devices. I believe there
are also tools available to make SANE accessible from a TWAIN-enabled
Windows machine.

Fair enough, not heard of that one and it's never been mentioned
before when this question has come up in various groups, (Google
anyone?).
--

SJW
Old February 8th 05, 02:20 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Binky

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 16:03:05 GMT, "Binky"
strung together this:

Can a bog standard USB scanner be made available via a wired LAN for all
users to access?

No, nor can any scanner without additional hardware which usually
costs more than buying a load of cheap USB scanners for everyone.
--

Thanks for the answers - even yours Dave Stanton.

I currently have a Umax Astra 1220P on a parallel connection which has XP
drivers but can be tempremental.

With regard to networking, there is an option for this unit, when installing
these drivers, to add a network capability via custom install. I tried it
but started getting error messages about networking protocols and it turned
into a right kerfuffle, resulting in me sounding out the USB option that you
all contributed to.

Old February 10th 05, 11:49 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Christo

"Binky" wrote in message
Can a bog standard USB scanner be made available via a wired LAN for all
users to access?

Thanks in advance,

Binky

should be able to