Why won't my wireless security work? AAAAArrrrrrgggghh!!!

Old February 7th 05, 05:50 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Zoidberg

Default Why won't my wireless security work? AAAAArrrrrrgggghh!!!

I have here a Belkin router like this one.

I also have a samsung P20C laptop with built in wireless card (802.11b
only).

It all used to work fine but I had to fit a new hard drive to the laptop and
re-install windows.
Since then the laptop refuses to connect when there is any security on the
wireless connection.

If I have an unsecured connection it works fine and gets an IP address , but
obviously thats leaving a big security hole which I don't want.

When I enable WEP on the router (either 64 or 128 bit , I've tried both) I
get prompted for a key when I try and connect which I entered correctly but
I don't get assigned an IP address.

Any suggestions before this goes out the window?

--
Alex

Hermes: "We can't afford that! Especially not Zoidberg!"
Zoidberg: "They took away my credit cards!"

www.drzoidberg.co.uk
www.sffh.co.uk
www.ebayfaq.co.uk

Old February 7th 05, 07:57 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Apollo

"Dr Zoidberg" wrote in message
I have here a Belkin router like this one.

I also have a samsung P20C laptop with built in wireless card
(802.11b only).

It all used to work fine but I had to fit a new hard drive to
the laptop and re-install windows.
Since then the laptop refuses to connect when there is any
security on the wireless connection.

If I have an unsecured connection it works fine and gets an IP
address , but obviously thats leaving a big security hole which
I don't want.

When I enable WEP on the router (either 64 or 128 bit , I've
tried both) I get prompted for a key when I try and connect
which I entered correctly but I don't get assigned an IP
address.

Any suggestions before this goes out the window?

Have you checked the MAC filtering on the router, do you have the
correct domain name - it's case sensitive too.

--
Ian

Old February 7th 05, 08:24 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Zoidberg

Apollo wrote:
[...]

MAC Filtering is off , and it works without WEP being enabled , so the
laptop isn't being blocked there.

As for the domain name , thats not used for authentication.

Old February 8th 05, 10:53 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Paul D.Smith

I believe that WEP can use 1 or 4 keys. Some cards use 4, some use 1. I
would start with all 4 keys the same and then fiddle with making them
different.

FYI, WPA is far better security and some wireless can be upgraded to this
merely by updating the drivers, or fireware in the case of the router.

Paul DS

Old February 9th 05, 07:20 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Zoidberg

Paul D.Smith wrote:
I believe that WEP can use 1 or 4 keys. Some cards use 4, some use
1. I would start with all 4 keys the same and then fiddle with
making them different.

Finally got it working by inputting the keys in hex onto the client rather
than in alphanumeric format.
Quite why this should have cured the problem I don't know.

FYI, WPA is far better security and some wireless can be upgraded to
this merely by updating the drivers, or fireware in the case of the
router.

Yep , I know WEP is a bit on the ****e side , but for home use with SSID
broadcasts off and MAC filtering enabled I reckon it will do me.

Plus my card doesn't support WEP :0)

Old February 9th 05, 09:34 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
dooey

Paul D.Smith wrote:
I believe that WEP can use 1 or 4 keys. Some cards use 4, some use
1. I would start with all 4 keys the same and then fiddle with
making them different.

Finally got it working by inputting the keys in hex onto the client rather
than in alphanumeric format.
Quite why this should have cured the problem I don't know.

Sorry to appear stupid but I have the same problem. Would you mind
elaborating on this?

Thanks in anticipation.

Dooey.

Old February 11th 05, 05:52 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Gizmo

"Dr Zoidberg" wrote in message

Any suggestions before this goes out the window?

Yup - open the window first ... it works out cheaper ;o)